Wry Neck? Hypothermia?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bensamjo, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bensamjo

bensamjo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    I posted this on the regular wall a little while ago but was advised to post here as well:

I have a black tailed Japanese Bantam roo (maybe 2-3 lbs) that has fallen ill for some reason. I read once that they are a cold-hardy breed but apparently they're not as cold hardy as I thought because after the below freezing temps we had 2 days in a row this week, I noticed he was limping Tuesday morning. I brought him inside to warm him but he has gone down hill rather quickly. He has held on for the last 2 days but seems to be on death's door. I don't know what else to do for him, short of "culling"... not my thing. I have him under a 75w light. I have to give him water w/ a medicine dropper bc he can't drink on his own. I have given him electrolytes and karo/water every hour today per vet instructions. He can move his wings and legs (but rarely does), opens his eyes sometimes in response to noise, but his neck will twist around nearly upside down (to the left). If I lay him on his left side, his neck will remain straight. Placing him on his right side, his neck will curl around upside down. I haven't tried poly-visol yet but hope to get to the store tomorrow for some sort of chicken vitamin/booster/something. Any ideas what may have happened to him? The two hens with him are fine but he's a bit smaller than them. They are all said to be about 3-4 years old, according to the guy I bought them from. Oh, and his poop is watery and sometimes has stringy green poo in it. If vitamins don't help (or any suggestions you all might can offer), I may end up having to pay a vet bill for them to just tell me there's nothing they can do for him. I hate to see him suffer but if there's something I can do to help, I want to at least try it. Any help, short of telling me to take him to a vet, will be appreciated!! Honestly, I didn't think he'd make it this long so I may actually end up at a vet tomorrow afternoon/Saturday but hope there's a "home remedy" I can try first! Thanks for your help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect that he might possible have Mareks disease from the symptoms of wry neck, limping, and green poops. Vitamins B1,E, and selenium may be helpful with the wry neck. I can't post links now, but I would Google Mareks disease and go to the UNH. link as well as the Cornell site on page 1 of Google.

3. bensamjo

Jan 9, 2014
    wow! marek's looks a bit intimidating to say the least! i don't know that he's got that, based on paralysis and eyes changing color....he does still move some and his eyes are not discolored. i also haven't seen any lesions on him. i have, however, seen a few mites on him!!! EWE! now what do i do?! i don't have any kind of dust to put on him and he's in my bedroom - of all places, right?!!?!! ...oh the things i get myself into!! tomorrow can't get here fast enough! :(

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are different symptoms with Mareks, and I'm not saying that your chicken has it, but there are 4 types of Mareks, and usually, you will just see some of the symptoms, not all. For mites, sevin 5% dust or permethrin work very well.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If they are that old, I would be surprised if it was mareks.

If the poop is green, watery, and stringy it could just be because he hasn't eaten, but it is also a possible indication of worms. Wazine is a good treatment for internal parasites, and it may be a good idea to treat your whole flock.

Wry neck (torticollis) is often caused by a lack of B and E vitamins, as the other poster mentioned. It would be worth a try to give him some supplements to see if it may perk him up a bit and resolve the wry neck.

Mites can cause lots of problems this time of year, including weakness and anemia. You can treat you whole flock for mites using Sevin-5 dust, which you can find at any store that carries garden supplies. I think I bought mine at Lowes. Wear gloves and dust in an open area. Dab your hand in the dust and rub a bit on the back and under each wing. That should resolve the mite load VERY quickly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks can happen at any age when they are exposed to it. Wry neck can. Be a symptom of head injury, vitamin deficiency, a diseases such as Mareks, Newcastles, and others.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Wazine only gets round worms, safeguard is a better dewormer as it treat most worms.
    Safeguard can be boughten at the feed store as horse paste or goat wormer.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. bensamjo

Jan 9, 2014
    wow. thank you all for the suggestions. if i go with safeguard, how much do i give, considering it's for larger livestock, not birds? will the mites be a problem in my home? i'm hoping they'll stay on him and not get on me or kids or anywhere else in the house!!! i will certainly be going out tomorrow if for nothing else some vitamins and dewormers!!! ya'll just don't know how paranoid i get with this kind of stuff!!! [​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So very true. I've lost a couple older birds to it, one was two, the other was three.

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you put poultry dust or Sevin dust on him the mites will instantly die. SafeGuard (fenbendazole ) is pretty safe--for a 2-3 lb chicken you could use 1/4-1/2 ml/cc safely. If you use the paste, just give a pea sized glob. Repeat the dust in 7 days, and the wormer in 10 days. Here are 2 links for lice/mites: http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by