1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wry neck i thought?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by briter74, Nov 4, 2014.

1. briter74

briter74 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    OK my poor dark Brahma went broody at end of summer then immediately when into a molt in her weakened state..well her neck fell upside down. So I isolated her gave water vitamins yogurt raw eggs and vitamin e w/selenium. Only reason I gave raw egg is she wouldn't eat anything solid I had to turn her neck and dip beak. So this vitamin deficiency was my thought no other symptoms ...but she favored one side and laid her head down on the left..she looked dead it was awful...I am thinking no way she's living what if its Marked..so SHE LIVED eating drinking like pig running around yard feathers look fabulous ..I bought feather fixer feed for the whole flock of 10. She's back with the group but here's the problem ...her left eye is yuck ! I have been cleaning with warm water and I put neosporin on outside...is this a different disease or affects from laying on her face for a week...yes it took a week of intensive care to bring her back from the brink of death... and no one else sick been 3 weeks. No chicken vets in NY so that's out I am on long island not farm country. Please some one help me with her eye...my other thought was when she rejoined flick they were a little nasty first day they could have hurt it!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, she is one strong bird! I am glad you were able to bring her back from the brink of death!! Can you get some pics of the eye? It is possible one of the others pecked it or she may have injured it. Could be an infection from a weak immune system and her recovery.

You might get some pics and post this in our emergency section for lots more help....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your hen and I hope she makes a full recovery! [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Pleased to hear you nursed her back from the brink of death.
    I know how it feels having had wry neck in my flock too. Great advice there from TwoCrows about posting in the emergency section with pics.

Good luck in the future with her and hope her eye better soon :frow

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good job on nursing your hen back to health! I would post in the Emergencies section of the forums for some help on treating her eye.

Good luck!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree , please post photos of her eye on the emergencies thread. It may be that the others attacked her. If a bird is separated from the flock for awhile, they attack it, like they have never seen it before. You have to re-introduce them slowly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by