wry neck improving but will recovery be full

henhubble

Chirping
Mar 25, 2019
I was given a barred rock pullet that seemed to have wry neck. After B vitamins and poultry vitamins, she is better, but she still has not regained complete balance. She has strong legs, great appetite, and lots of energy.
She now seems able to balance upright for a bit on her legs, but can't walk. Her legs make all the walking, or running! motions, but keeping upright is the problem. Her neck still seems a little odd and stiff. My son is going to make her a walker.
Does wry neck always go away completely with time and nutrition? Any experience with this. The cutest sweetest barred rock pullet needs to be able to walk and eat bugs on her own.
Thanks

Are you supplementing vitamin E and selenium also? Those are important for wry neck. Since you are seeing some improvement I would do that and give it a bit more time, it can take a while in some cases when it's a deficiency. Time will tell if it's deficiency caused or has another basis, like injury or disease, not much to be done in those cases. Fingers crossed for you.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

There is vit E in the poultry vitamins, but no selenium. I did crush some selenium and add it but I am unsure of dosage so have not added more. We are starting to take her for physical therapy walks while holding her upright. Her legs move correctly and she can stand for a bit. Will this 'learning to walk again' therapy help ?

There is vit E in the poultry vitamins, but no selenium. I did crush some selenium and add it but I am unsure of dosage so have not added more. We are starting to take her for physical therapy walks while holding her upright. Her legs move correctly and she can stand for a bit. Will this 'learning to walk again' therapy help ?
I would offer her some egg or tuna for Selenium instead of using a Selenium "supplement" - too much Selenium is toxic. Most feed already has selenium added so you want to be careful there.

Vitamin E - I would aim for 400IU daily - see how much is in the poultry vitamins, if those don't have that, then get some Vitamin E from the drug store.

[QUOTE="Wyorp Rock, post: 21214691, member:
Thank you, Sometimes it seems like her neck gets stuck but only for half a minute thankfully, and she goes crazy and closes the one eye and stuggles as though almost scratching at that left side, but then it goes away. I wonder if her neck muscles are contracting although for a second it seems she could be choking. This is a new development and only happens maybe once a day.

Thanks, will see how much vit E in feed and try tuna and go from there.

How long should it take for birds to recover from this? My daughter bought 4 6 week Americauna pullets and was raising them separately on chick starter. She started noticing the one had its head cocked, but didn't know enough that it was a problem. A week later its head was twisted 180 degrees and under it. She has me helping her hand feed it started feed, Vit E liquid, scrambled eggs, olive oil and apple sauce. 2 oz morning and night and water squirted in her mouth. It will be two weeks of hand feeding Saturday and she sometimes stands with her head 45 degrees and when scared it flips under and she looses control. It still doesn't seem to be able to eat on its own. It improved the first week and doesn't seem anything the second week. She open her eyes when food it shoved in her mouth and she swallows and closes her eyes and goes docile.

Her and I am starting to wonder if this one will recover from this. I have my doubts.

@archeryrob this is from the link I posted before:
"5. There may be improvement as quickly as 24 hours after the first dose, but it can take several days for improvement to start and it may seem to get worse before it gets better. It can take as long as a month before the condition disappears altogether. Don't give up."
I have read at least one thread where the poster said it took 2 months. If you search the forum for 'wry neck' or any of the other terms commonly used you may find more info that helps.

I can tell you, I will try and help birds, but I am not hand feeding one pullet for possibly 6 more weeks. She has not seemed to get any better in the last 5 days. My wife said she read you need to stop the heavy Vit E treatments as it can be bad for their other organs.

Everyone has their limits of what they are willing or able to do. It's entirely a personal choice how much time and effort one is willing to put into it. It's a judgement call for each individual based on that particular bird and that particular case. When quality of life is greatly diminished, or a bird is suffering, then there is no question that sometimes ending that suffering is the kindest thing to do. That is a call that only you can make.

I can tell you, I will try and help birds, but I am not hand feeding one pullet for possibly 6 more weeks. She has not seemed to get any better in the last 5 days. My wifeDon't give up yetid she read you need to stop the heavy Vit E treatments as it can be bad for their other organs.
I read a month, although sometimes it can be quick, but vit B complex is needed. Ours only was handfed the first week or so but then could eat fine if supported in a sitting vertical or an upright position. She just does not balance well, but eats great now. Don't give up yet

Back
Top Bottom