wry neck in 4 month old golden crested polish hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kayla104, Sep 20, 2016.

1. kayla104

kayla104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I have a little hen who has wry neck. She is also undersized with a deformed toe. She was with her flock for 2 months until her twin sister passed away. She is now in the house for past 2 months with my red frizzle(3 months old). I have been giving her poly vi sol no iron a drop a day straight in beak. I mixed in selenium with vitamin E gel(from human gel caps) and give her that once a day. I think I might not be giving vitamin E often enough. I also been putting rooster booster vitamins plus electrolytes in her water. It's been almost two weeks and not improvement. I read somewhere about prednisone too. I have RA and have human prednisone 5mg tabs. She is my little sweetheart I really want to help her. Her name is meanie lol. When she was a baby she pecked her flocks eyes. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    Hi, it sounds like you are doing all you can to help her, but after two weeks of straight vitamin E and general vitamin administration it makes me wonder if it is wry neck? Can you post some pics of her? Over the years I have had to treat about 5 wry neck chooks - 4 got better within just a week by giving them vitamin E capsules daily. I have read taht Vitamin B1 can also help. Some wry neck look a likes include nerve form of Mareks disease (also called pseudobotulism), listeriosis (bacteria), ergotism (fungal infection from grains) and toxoplasmosis (another fungal infection). Because she is a crested breed her skull is slightly weaker than most birds so it could be a brain injury.

3. kayla104

kayla104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I will get pics in the morning. I think I might not have been doing vitamin e right. I was giving her a drop a day. But she could have hurt herself off their heating plate thingy in their playpen. They would get chilly with our a/c running but when she started walking with her neck twisted(now she holds it up some and is more tucked under than all twisted) I removed it, I was afraid she'd walk into it and get hurt. Her and my frizzle are my inside chickens they are tinier than the outside flock. I have dealt with many illnesses including e coli but my brain just don't seem to be working right lately. I even treated crazy chick disease before and for some reason can't remember dosages ugh. forgot to add she has been eating and drinking on her own the whole time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    Okay, yes I think you should increase the Vitamin E dosage. I think the capsules I gave my wry neck birds contained about 8 drops per capsule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by