Wry neck in 8 month old cockrel

crchicks

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
Abilene, Tx
I just noticed today that my BLR wyandotte cockrel was walking around with his head tilted to the side. When I went to pick him up he sat down with his head looking straight up. I've only seen wry neck in new chicks, never one this old. Has anyone successfully treated wry neck in an older bird? I gave him a little vitamin E and some poly-vi-sol just in case, but I'm not sure on dosing a big bird. If it isn't wry neck does anyone have any other ideas? He was acting fine yesterday.

Typically older birds don't get wry neck. Is it possible it's caused by an injury? As long as he doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain. I would give him vitamins and wait it out. If it's a minor injury it will straighten out on its own. Keep a close eye on him and if it begins to get worse or starts affecting his ability to survive then it may be time to look at alternative treatment.

well my thoughts go to a case of early Marek's disease.
And there isn't much you can do and you will have to isolate him and feed a wet mash with Vit B, Vit E and selenium. Try that to help him as it may just be older age and the vitamins in his body are being used by the body in another way.
Check out my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE

I agree with Glenda, at that age, Marek's is the likely cause and all you can do is support him physically by helping him to eat and drink if he needs it and nutritionally by good quality food (her probiotic mash looks good) and vitamins, to support his immune system and hope for the best. Feeding a wet mash is a particularly good idea because it will help prevent him becoming dehydrated.
Good luck with him.

20170609_205449.jpg
20170609_205406.jpg

He's standing with his head cocked like this and throwing his head back when he drinks like the 2nd picture. He has no other deficits

I have a 14 month old Australorp that is doing to same thing. throwing her head back, just like the second picture. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with her?
give her vitamins and making mash with my pellet feed.
This has been going on for a couple of weeks. She can no longer get on the roost at night.
We have been talking about culling her, but I really hate to do that if I can get her better.

I have a 14 month old Australorp that is doing to same thing. throwing her head back, just like the second picture. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with her?
give her vitamins and making mash with my pellet feed.
This has been going on for a couple of weeks. She can no longer get on the roost at night.
We have been talking about culling her, but I really hate to do that if I can get her better.

So I'm almost convinced that my rooster has an ear infection. He keeps scratching at it and that could cause a loss of equilibrium. I'm going to give him a round of antibiotics and see if that helps at all, you might try it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom