Wry Neck in Adults

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by celtinbirks, Oct 14, 2019.

1. celtinbirks

celtinbirks In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2019
    Oregon
    About a month ago, One of our 5 month old Barred Holland roosters (George) developed a case of Wry Neck. He seemed perfectly healthy the previous day. I removed him from the flock of 40 (about 20 boys and 20 girls) and he got better over the next week. After two weeks of separation, I returned him to the flock because none of the others seemed to be having any of the same issues and he seemed to be well.
    A few days ago, another Barred Holland rooster had Wry Neck in the morning and seemed to be fully recovered later that day. We didn't notice which one it was because it was too dark to tell, but we know that it wasn't George. They have been fed "Scratch and Peck" organic grower feed that includes Selenium and Vitaman E. They are currently housed in about a 1/3 acre chemical-free vineyard.
    Over the time of confinement, George became very friendly and seems to enjoy being pet and picked up. He also likes to follow us around. Before he got Wry Neck, he was fairly low in the pecking order, but after we returned him to the flock, he has been continually picked on by the other roosters more than he ever was. It has been getting so bad that yesterday, we separated him into his own little run within sight of the flock.
    We are building a small barn that will soon house the flock in separate small groups. We will be culling most of the current roosters that aren't up to the breed standard. We don't want to cull George if we don't have to because he has become so nice, but will if need be.

What could have caused the Wry Neck?
    When the barn is finished, George can have his own area alone with some hens if we keep him. What should we do with him in the meantime?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

2. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    could be they were being roosters and he got hurt, it doewssn't dound like actual wry neck, but could be alerting you to nutritional deficiency, You can give a vitamine E capsul spread over feed for the affected one.

That's way to many roosters minimum 5 hens per rooster with optimal being 10. if you have a separate pen I would put the boys in one and the hens in another.

Tagging someone more knowledgable than me also.
    @Eggcessive
    @dawg53

3. celtinbirks

Jun 18, 2019
    Oregon
    Thanks for the advice. We know that we have too many roos. We are hoping to get rid of a bunch of them this next weekend. Maybe we can figure out some way to separate them until then or until we get the barn finished.

slordaz likes this.
  4. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Cedar Creek Farm Lady Crowing

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Brewers yeast is a good supplement to add to the feed, plus there is poly-vi-sol without iron too.

slordaz likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the scratch and peck feed the kind of feed that has the grains separated like the one below, and not a uniform crumble or pellet? That might be why one or two are getting wry neck, since they may be eating the parts they like best, and not getting a balaced diet. That is just a theory. Wry neck can be caused by a number of things, such as vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, head or neck injuries, and is seen in a few diseases such as Mareks disease. Feeding him a mash of regular chicken feed made wet with water, cooked egg or tuna would be good.
    upload_2019-10-14_18-1-19.png

slordaz likes this.
  6. celtinbirks

Jun 18, 2019
    Oregon
    The feed does have the grains separated. We wet the whole thing hoping that they will eat all of it.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I use a chicken crumble that is all the same where my chickens cannot pick out the best parts. There are many good ones.

8. celtinbirks

Jun 18, 2019
    Oregon
    Update on the roos: They are eating all the food when it is moist. They seem normal until they are in the coop at night. When we open up the coop in the morning, they aren't on the perches like the rest of the chickens, they are on the floor with their necks slightly twisted. They then get up and act perfectly fine the rest of the day. Seems weird.
    I am going to supplement their food this week and see about changing brands.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you been using any vitamin E and thiamine in their feed or giving it in a snack? I would since they are showing the wry neck, since they might need more than what is in their feed for awhile. I also would try to get Flock Raiser or an all flock feed that is uniform crumbles or pellets.

10. celtinbirks

Jun 18, 2019
    Oregon
    I'm going to start giving vitamin E and thiamine in the next couple of days and monitor the results. I think that the roosters may be brothers. I wonder if in any way it could be hereditary?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: