Wry Neck in Buff Pullet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krbrutsche, Mar 7, 2014.

1. krbrutsche

krbrutsche New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I have a 3 week old buff pullet that i noticed is tilting her head back on her neck and swinging it back and forth. She only really does it when she is drinking water. I have watched some videos on wry neck and some of them look similar to what she is doing. In reading about wry neck i found that vitamins supplements could cure it? I am not sure what to do for her or if i should seperate her from the other chicks? Here is a video of her this morning to get a better idea of what she is doing. Please help!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If she's being bullied then she would need separating, but otherwise not.

I know of a similar issue in turkeys which is due to inbreeding, and with this issue the animals experience a neck spasm that twists their heads back whenever they hear water drops, hence that old and incorrect saying about turkeys being dumb enough to drown in the rain because they look up; but I've not heard of it in chickens. It's not too unlikely though.

I did have a turkey hen with this problem. It has an official name, not that I recall it offhand. She was not of my breeding and I never bred her either. Even the faraway sound of water splashing would set her off. My other turkey hens tolerated her for a limited while then smashed her to death without warning.

I don't know if this is what your hen has, but wry neck is generally more shown in twisting towards one direction, not this swinging spasm you describe. However it may be wryneck. Hypericum in homeopathic form worked for some people's chickens with Marek's. Neurological disorders generally benefit from a standard group of treatments, so it might apply to whatever your hen has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by