Wry neck in hen getting worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieSisters, Jan 18, 2019.

1. SilkieSisters

SilkieSisters In the Brooder

Sep 4, 2018
    I have an 11 week old leghorn hen who from a chick always looked up at me sideways but just a week ago or so I realized that it was wry neck that she had and it's just been getting worse. She's still eating and drinking and I've been squeezing a vitamin e pill on her beak daily and also mix selenium in some water to give her. She drinks it fine but her head is upside down a lot and loses her balance sometimes. It's been a bit over a week that I've been giving her the vitamins but it seems to just be getting worse. She can still lift up her head but it's almost twisted in a way and down a lot. Does anyone know if it'll get better or if I found out about it too late? I wanna do anything that will help her get better.

This image was from a week ago and her head is like this a lot still especially when I hold her but now it hangs more low. IMG_9275.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpeg

2. SilkieSisters

Sep 4, 2018
    Does anyone have info that could help? She's struggling

3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold or Swan Pond
    I'm so sorry about your girl. Definitely more vitamin E and maybe a chicken sling for her and something you can use to prop her head in the right position, might make it easier for her and make her more comfortable.

@Eggcessive @sourland @Wyorp Rock

These people might be able to help you a little more. I've never had to deal with this before so I don't know much about it.

ChickNanny13 and SilkieSisters like this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry but I have no experience dealing with birds with wry neck.

SilkieSisters and Abriana like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck or torticolis is a neurological symptom. It can occur with vitamin deficiency, head injuries, heredity, and is seen in some diseases such as Mareks and others.
    Treatment consists of giving chick vitamins containing thiamine or vitamin B1. Also give 400 IU of vitamin E. A few bites of egg will supply selenium a mineral needed for vitamin E uptake. Some chickens will get better with vitamins in days or weeks. Unfortuantely, if it is caused by Mareks, there may be other symptoms later. Keep her well fed and hydrated. Start vitamins, and something like Poultry NutriDrench is good to give, and a vitamin E pearl daily. PND has the selenium and thiamine, or you can use other vitamins.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a photo of her standing by herself?

Good advice from @Eggcessive as always.
    I would eliminate the Selenium mixed in the water. Selenium can be toxic if too much is given, so it's best to just offer a little egg as suggested - this will be sufficient.

I'm sorry to hear that she is getting worse. Hopefully by tweaking her vitamin therapy you will begin to see some improvement. You can assist her with eating/drinking if you need to (see video below), but it's a good idea to re-evaluate her condition and quality of life daily.
    If you happen to lose her, sending the body for testing will give you insight into the cause of her condition.

ChickNanny13 and Eggcessive like this.
  7. SilkieSisters

Sep 4, 2018
    @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
    Here's pictures of her from right now. . . her head is most often tilted to the side but she moves around a lot and she still is flying and hopping around randomly (her personality is bubbly and high energy) and when I put her back with the other chicks she was drinking water and eating on her own still. She's been taking the 400 IU vitamin e daily and would poly visol be good to give her? I've read articles that say to use that too. When I tried giving her eggs before she wouldn't eat them which idk why . . . she usually doesn't eat anything by hand from me unless it's a liquid. I have the poultry nutridrench and didn't even think about using it but i'll add it to her water. Thank you guys!

IMG_9308.jpg
    IMG_9302.jpeg IMG_9303.jpg IMG_9307.jpg

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor girl!
    I would give her the 400IU Vitamin E and the Poultry Nutri-Drench.
    Nutri-Drench has B1 and Selenium, so that gets you what you need:)

ChickNanny13 and SilkieSisters like this.
  9. SilkieSisters

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks, I have both of those! Do you think she'll be able to recover from this?

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With wry neck, you never know, since it is a symptom—not a disease. It depends if it is something hereditary, a vitamin deficiency, or from something like Mareks. She certainly sounds like she is handling it well. The NutriDrench and vitamin E can be given directly into her beak.

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: