Wry Neck In Meat Chick This Week!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goosemama, Oct 26, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Bought 25 Cornish X meat chicks last week from Meyer Hatchery. All seemed really vigorous and I put them in the brooder, each getting a drink first and all were eating. After two days two seemed listless (checked for pasty butts - none). I gave drop of Colloidal Silver in their beak and the next day both dead - unexplainable. But that happens it has happened with almost all of my hatchery orders except one group of Welsummers. Now l0 days old all doing fine until I noticed one with head on a tilt and scooting backwards with his head between his legs. I had NEVER seen or read of this before. My husband (who knows less than I do about poultry said "sounds like wry neck" HUH???? Logged on to BYCF and sure enough descriptions of others sounded the same. After reading tips from some, I went out next day and bought Polyvisol liquid baby vitamins (no iron) to give to the chick and also bought Durvet Electrolytes and Vitamin powder to put in their waterer. The next day I could see an improvement it was remarkable!!! 4 days later I'm still giving him the drops, but I wonder if the Durvet in the water is the real key. I can hardly find him now amongst the rest.
    Funny thing was he wasn't weak or small - very robust and one of the heaviest. But now I know and won't start any chicks in the future without the Durvet in their water.

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see if I can find Durvet around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by