Wry Neck in newly hatched chicks Genetic or Nutritional?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cowgirlgrace, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Six months ago I purchased Mille Fleur Bantam Cochin eggs from a breeder and more than half hatched out with Wry neck. I euthanized them thinking it was a neurological defect. Contacted the breeder and she said she had hatched some with that also. Said she found the hen throwing those and culled her from the breeding group. Also in researching read about the vit B, E etc treatments in older birds but havn't read anything about it in newly hatched chicks. So, the one surviving pullet from my hatch who never exhibited symptoms is now laying. She bred with an unrelated roo from another MFC breeder. Today those eggs are hatching. So far two chicks hatched and one with wry neck. Two still to hatch. If this is happening with newly hatched chicks is this a hereditary issue? If I eliminated all that hatched with it the last time how is this pullet carrying this problem if born normal and bred with an unrelated roo? Should I eliminate all birds from this breeder, I have two roos from her also? I have other MFC from two other breeders with no problem and have never seen this problem in any of my other breeds. Should I try the vitamin treatment or does this pretty much sound like a genetic thing in this particular line?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Since I've never experienced this I'll just bump you up more, I've read alot about it on here but still don't fee I can give advise, Good luck

3. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

This is very hard as I already euthanized chicks from the original hatch and looks like I will have to do it again. I posted in this thread and also in the genetics thread since I'm not sure about the genetic influence vs nutritional. Hoping some one else with this experience will see this. Most responses I've gotten so far have suggested genetic since they are born with this. Also hoping someone with lots of knowledge about this issue in newborns might shed some light on the issue as to how it develops and how prevalent it is.

4. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm trying to understand this. I also have a roo & two hens from this breeder. I just found out.
    The recommendation is to cull all roos from this line, but continue to breed the females to UNRELATED males. To me, this seems unethical unless I'm going to keep all the offspring. Otherwise I'm passing along carrier birds that could create a problem for someone else down the road.
    I am considering test mating my three birds from this line to see what happens. If all my birds are potential carriers (none are exhibiting symptoms), they would only each have one copy of the gene, right? So if I understand correctly, each parent could pass the gene or not (50/50 chance per parent) and strictly speaking from a percentage perspective, I should get 1 in 4 affected?
    The potential genetic outcomes:
    Neither parent passes gene = Normal offspring
    Father passes gene, mother does not = Carrier offspring
    Mother passes gene, father does not = Carrier offspring
    Both parents pass gene = Symptomatic/Affected offspring

Is there something more to the genetics here that I don't understand?
    Thanks for any help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by