Wry Neck? Neurological? What is this?

chickbee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Richmond, VA
I have a hen that is a couple years old. Rescued/adopted from an animal sanctuary near me.
In the mornings, when she comes out of her coop, I notice her body pulling to the right and left while her head stays in place. It happens repeatedly. She isn't doing it all the time. Her neck doesn't fall like with Wry Neck... Her head stays sort of in one spot and her body pulls and she goes to the left, then to the right over and over. Almost like she's dancing while trying to focus on something.
This has been going on for at least a month or so but it has seemed to go away at times. Is this wry neck? When I look it up, it doesn't look exactly like that.

Extra Info. She has had feather loss that we cannot resolve and believe it is due to her being at the bottom of the pecking order/getting pecked at. She has been to vet twice, no mites and treated for worms that was resolved. This chicken is pitiful. I don't know how to help her.

Wry neck can present symptoms that are not always the classic "star gazing". Some involve simple body movements, walking backward, a tilt off center, balance, etc.

Treat with one vitamin E 400iu minimum capsule per day until symptoms disappear.

As for the pathetic appearance, have you observed the behavior of the flock with this hen? She may be bullied due to insufficient integration. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Wry neck can present symptoms that are not always the classic "star gazing". Some involve simple body movements, walking backward, a tilt off center, balance, etc.

Treat with one vitamin E 400iu minimum capsule per day until symptoms disappear.

As for the pathetic appearance, have you observed the behavior of the flock with this hen? She may be bullied due to insufficient integration. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful! She is very much bullied and I've been at a loss as to what to do. They free range all-day everyday in a small flock of 8 hens. They have plenty of space and she even has her own personal coop now for night. Which is probably what is keeping things at bay for her. But her skin irritation is awful. I think we will have to build her her own pen space now.

I forgot to ask, so can I just purchase human grade Vit. E from the Health food store? And break that open for her?

Back
Top Bottom