1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry-neck? Never encountered before. Trying to diagnose.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by franklinstreetwest, Jun 6, 2011.

1. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I haven't posted pics on here before, so please bear with me.

-- Polish Frizzle, 4 weeks old
    -- When it hatched it kinda flopped in circles for two days. I thought that it would die straight away, but then it just straightened up and was fine.
    -- Checked on the kids this morning and Weeble was fine and dandy. Got home late at night and it's neck is completely twisted down to the ground. Can't stand properly and goes in circles.

At first I thought that her neck was broken, but there isn't any lumps or abnormalities in the neck. I can also gently straighten her neck out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I'm currently treating a Silkie with the same symptoms, with great success- maybe my thread can be useful. I wish you the best of luck. I thought I'd have to cull my bird, it dragged its head around and could not eat or drink without assistance- but only a few days into treatment, "Twisty" is up and about with only a minor head tilt. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6582086

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by