Wry Neck or Newcastle Disease? What are the differences?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shelbylewis, Nov 26, 2018.

1. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    They both seem very similar to me and I have been treating my 5 day old baby chick for wry neck. Her neck is not twisted backwards like most cases I have seen, but she walks backwards, loses balances, and her head spins in a circle. She is still eating and drinking on her own and I am giving her vitamin supplements. I also hear clicking when I take her out to give her her vitamins and I have linked that to a possible respiratory infection. I am using VetRx in her water for that. I have a separate thread on this but I just want to make sure I am treating her for the right thing.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How have you been treating her?
    Where are you located?

Wry Neck (Torticollis) is a neurological SYMPTOM of certain conditions and diseases - like Vitamin E deficiency, head injury/trauma, genetic defects, Marek's, Newcastle and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

Newcastle I would associate with respiratory symptoms along with the progression of paralysis and symptoms of wry neck.

If other chicks are or have been housed with this one, then I would expect more than 1 to have similar symptoms since Newcastle is highly contagious.

Since Newcastle and a few other respiratory diseases are caused by a virus, there is no real treatment. Antibiotics can treat secondary infections, but normally the illness will have to run it's course.
    You received good advice on your other thread. I would continue to treat for Wry Neck and monitor the chick. Hopefully she will begin to improve.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ry-infection-pasty-butt-wry-neck-ugh.1282217/

Here's some reading about common diseases http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    ChickNanny13, Pork Pie and Eggcessive like this.
  3. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    I have been treating her with
    -Poly Vi Sol without iron
    -vitamin e capsules
    -selenium tablets
    -poultry drench

I started the poultry drench on Saturday and the other stuff yesterday.

I am located in New Jersey.

Thank you for all of this information

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would really only choose 1 of those to give.

Selenium is only given in a very tiny amount 25mcg (micrograms) per day. An overload can be toxic. A little egg, tuna or sunflower seeds has sufficient Selenium for the uptake of E.

Aim for 400IU daily of Vitamin E and add some B vitamins (1/4 tablet B-Complex).
    Not sure what is in PolyViSol, but I do know that Poultry Nutri-Drench contains E, B1 and Selenium.

Just don't overdo it on the vitamins:)

Saaniya, shelbylewis and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    Okay, I will stick with the nutri-drench since it is made specifically for poultry. I will go out and get some tuna sunflower seeds and grit tomorrow!

6. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    Wry neck or Crooked Neck is a typical Vitamin E & Selenium Deficiency
    &
    ND Newcastle is the viral virus that cause multiple things in the body of chicken but if this virus join the wry neck it will make more difficult to treat it .

7. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017

My Bottle of vitami

I've read this oral administration of common poultry vitamins
    vitamin A, 5,000 to 10,000 IU/day;vitamin D, 1,000 to 2,000 IU/day;vitamin E, 100 to 300 IU/day; and vitamin K, 5 mg every three days.

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I've used PolyVisol without the iron for Riboflavin Deficiency when I had a 3wk old chick develop CTP (Curly Toe Paralysis). Not sure where I read about it but it was "easier" for me to administer than the B - Complex. Found this off a label for PolyVisol without Iron, it was two long weeks but chick recovered and went back to it's owner.

Serving Size: 1 ml daily
    Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value*
    Vitamin A 750IU50%
    Vitamin C 35mg100%
    Iron 10mg67%
    Vitamin D 400IU100%
    Vitamin E 5IU100%
    Niacin 8mg100%
    Vitamin B6 0.4mg100%
    Riboflavin 0.6mg100%
    Thiamin 0.5mg100%
    MetricServingSize 1ml
    * Percentage of Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Serving Size: 1 ml daily

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value*
    Vitamin A 750IU30%
    Vitamin C 35mg88%
    Iron 10mg100%
    Vitamin D 400IU100%
    Vitamin E 5IU50%
    Niacin 8mg89%
    Vitamin B6 0.4mg57%
    Riboflavin 0.6mg75%
    Thiamin 0.5mg71%
    MetricServingSize 1ml
    * Percentage of Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Ingredients:
    Glycerin, Water, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80, Caramel Color, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sulfuric Acid (Antioxidant for Iron), Sulfites.
    Allergens & Warnings:
    Do not use if printed bottle neckband is missing or broken. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Also vitamin b deficiency
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/thiamin-deficiency

I had two of these in the last year and I treated with injections of B complex for cattle and they recovered in less than 2 hours.
    tractor vitamin b_1.png

ChickNanny13, Saaniya and Wyorp Rock like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Go get some of this and give 0.05 ml to 0.1 ml orally.

tractor vitamin b_1.png
    thiamine_3.png

ChickNanny13, Saaniya and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: