Wry neck or ?

Dlb

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
I have a 10 mo old bard rock that is twisting her head completely upside down. Can’t eat or drink on her own for about a week. Giving steroids, vitamin E, selenium and poly vi sol. Doesn’t seem to be recovering. Any suggestions??
upload_2018-10-26_11-30-29.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen having wry neck. Wry neck is a neurological symptom that can be a result of head or neck injury, a vitamin E or B2 (thiamine) deficiency, or a disease, such as Mareks, severe respiratory diseases, fowl cholera, and others.

I usually would not give prednisone without a vet’s recommendation. Vitamin E, thiamine, selenium (found in egg, tuna, sunflower seed are good sources,) and an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin 81 mg daily or others, are the usual treatment.

She will need to be wrapped in a towel and helped to eat. A bowl with chicken feed, a lot of water, and some chopped egg, several times a day with her vitamins can help her to give enough. Then give extra water in between. Hopefully, you will start seeing some improvement soon. Can she stand or walk at all?

Yes, Pam, some do use prednisone, and there is a link where the writer recommends it. But use caution with pednisone or prednisolone, since it can cause ulcers and lower immunity to fight off infections. It may also need to be tapered down slowly in dosage if used in larger dosages. Here is the link that mentions prednisone and wry neck, although this person is not a vet:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Yes, Pam, some do use prednisone, and there is a link where the writer recommends it. But use caution with pednisone or prednisolone, since it can cause ulcers and lower immunity to fight off infections. It may also need to be tapered down slowly in dosage if used in larger dosages. Here is the link that mentions prednisone and wry neck, although this person is not a vet:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
Thanks. I would take your word over someone I didnt know even a vet. LOL

It is an individual matter with wry neck. Some who really have the time may spend 2 weeks with intensive care, if they have the time to give, to try and see if it improves. Most people have work or school, so it depends on what you can handle. In some cases wry neck may last a lot longer. It depends on what has caused it. If it is Mareks, it may not get better. If it is a vitamin deficiency, or a head injury, it may take days or weeks. Having them in the house in a dog crate may make it easier to care for one so ill. Here is a good,but older thread where people share their experiences, and I would start at the end where more recent posts are and read backwards for current info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck.97121/page-38

Other articles:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/wry-neck

Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your hen having wry neck. Wry neck is a neurological symptom that can be a result of head or neck injury, a vitamin E or B2 (thiamine) deficiency, or a disease, such as Mareks, severe respiratory diseases, fowl cholera, and others.

I usually would not give prednisone without a vet’s recommendation. Vitamin E, thiamine, selenium (found in egg, tuna, sunflower seed are good sources,) and an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin 81 mg daily or others, are the usual treatment.

She will need to be wrapped in a towel and helped to eat. A bowl with chicken feed, a lot of water, and some chopped egg, several times a day with her vitamins can help her to give enough. Then give extra water in between. Hopefully, you will start seeing some improvement soon. Can she stand or walk at all?
Prednisone was from the Vet, but he has little experience with chickens. We live in a rural farming community and most just cull a sick chicken.
She can stand but needs help getting her head upright again.
Don’t want to lose her, but don’t want to prolong her suffering if there is no hope.
How long have others let this go before making that awful decision?

Back
Top Bottom