Wry neck question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dresden, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Dresden

Dresden Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    I have a 8 week old silkie with wry neck, I have been giving her the vitamins that are meant to help, but would like to know , whe she is having one of her "fits" should her neck be straightened or leave her as she is? My husband says to straighten her out, but I think she should be left as her body is almost convulsing and to force her might hurt her muscles? Any thoughts on this would be great

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's a good question! I have never thought about that. Can you post a video of her?

I really don't have an answer, how long are her fits, can she eat/drink on her own or do you have to straighten the neck to help her eat?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her bouts of wry neck or torticolis are muscle spasms from a neurological problem, and are involuntary. I would not try to straighten out the neck, but just let her be, and protect her from hurting herself. Make sure she is getting thiamine vitamin B2, vitamin E, and selenium (found in eggs, tuna, and some nuts and seeds.) Silkies seem to be prone to wry neck for some reason. Some have vaulted skulls which can be more easily injured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by