Wry neck recovery or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rage7299, Apr 15, 2017.

1. rage7299

rage7299 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    I brought home a sick baby from one of our local stores. After the first day his neck was twisted and he could no longer walk. I began feeding and giving him water with an eye dropper as well as supplementing with Vitamin E, selenium, and poly vis ol without iron. This morning he seemed to be getting much better and trying to eat on his own, however now he seems to be flopping his head side to side a lot and opening his beak a lot. He still can't walk but is gaining some balance back. Is this typical of a little one recovering from wry neck?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I cannot say for sure since I have never had a chick with wry neck, but posting to keep your thread alive for others to respond. Wry neck (crook neck, torticolis, star gazing, encephalomalacia) are terms for a neurological condition that can be hereditary, caused by a head injury, or related to vitamin E or thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency. The mineral selenium found in egg, tuna, some nuts and seeds, is needed to help in vitamin E function. Wry neck can last days, weeks, or forever, so no 2 cases are alike. It is great that you are giving the chick a chance, but make sure that it is getting enough water and food, and keep up the vitamins. You may have to make a runny mixture of chick feed with a lot of water, and try to hold the chick to eat enough throughout the day. Here is some reading:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. rage7299

rage7299 New Egg

Nov 16, 2016
    Thank you for your response. I was doing everything you listed right down to the runny chick feed. Unfortunately the chick passed away last night. I'm heart broken to say the least. Hand feeding an animal every hour for a week sure made me feel like Mama Chicken!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am sorry that you lost her even after all of your hard work. You certainly gave her a chance at survival. Taking care of a sick chick is really tough when you lose them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by