Wry Neck/Sealed Eyes/Somersaults?! help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candicemarie, Mar 13, 2013.

1. candicemarie

candicemarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Ely, NV
    I have 6 8wk old silkie chicks. Last Friday, I noticed one with its head between its legs.. Instantly thought wry neck.. Decided to bring it and one of the smaller weaker chicks into my house into a mini brooder. The other 4 are big and healthy and have no issues.
    the silkie with the neck issue can eat and drink just fine. Normal poop. Walks great and can hold it's head up, then starts dragging a and shaking its head into the shavings. Occasionally it will sommersault. The 2 of them are having eye issues, they seal shut snd i then clean gently with a damp towel. i started giving poultry vitamins in their water, as most if what ive read had said to do so.

What is going on?
    Wry neck in the one, or not?

I want to treat them, but there are so many different issues it could be :/

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Doesn't quite fit the description for a star gazer, some mineral deficiency is a good guess. Maybe consider putting the baby in a sock sling so it can rest. Personally I would hold it against the base of my neck just above the collar bone with my cupped hand as much as possible. Keep it from getting worn out. Just my crazy idea.

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    The shavings are not cedar right? Sorry just checking. Try not to get unsterilized water in their eyes. Hard I know.

4. candicemarie

candicemarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Ely, NV
    They're pine shavings. It's so strange, the chick is walking around, head held high, right now.. But I'm sure in Afew minutes it will do another sommersault :(
    I've been running the water hot, then letting cool for a second before holding on each eye. The sommersaulting chick has only one eye that is doing this. The is perfectly normal besides its eyes sealing every few hours :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by