Update with video***Wry neck silkie rooster not eating

Katejc

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Shuswap, British Columbia
Symptoms started a few days ago with holding his head to one side and we went in last night and his head was completely upside down and on the floor. Brought him in, syringed some water in and he ate a bit and slept in a kennel overnight but today he is not eating. He is holding his head up but if we touch him he flops it down and he goes to sleep. He has also crowed a few times this morning and done a couple of poops. But I gave him scrambled eggs, oatmeal, feed and sesame seeds and he wants nothing. I got a couple of vitamin E capsules in him last night with a syringe which I will do again today but I need him to eat! Can I syringe him food? I dont want to kill him trying to help him...

How old is he? Have you checked to see if his crop is emptying and he is passing droppings?

Is he able to stand up at all?
:fl
He is about 6 months? I decided to tube feed him and watched some videos. I made a mix of spinach, eggs, oatmeal and vitamin E and got quite a bit in him a little at a time. Its not a good sign how easy it was :( His crop feels good and squishy now though. Barely any poop this morning so I am keeping him out of the kennel so I can monitor.

Make sure that his crop empties overnight. A chicken usually needs about 15 ml per pound of water 3 to 4 times a day.
Okay good to know, I am not sure at all if I am giving him enough! His crop did empty overnight last night but he was eating on his own then. Should I give him water as well or is the liquid diet okay?

This is pretty much his current state. He either goes right upside down and on the ground and passes out or he has his head right up straight and slightly to the side. He does not appear to be able to walk.

I get the feeling that I am on my own with this but things are not going well. No signs of perking up after being syringe fed with food and water. He is just lying with his head upside down on the ground with laboured breathing.

Sorry no one has responded in the last few hours. He looks very ill in the video, definitely having neurological symptoms. I wonder if he has Mareks or something else going on with his brain. I would make him comfortable as possible with as little stress as possible. If you lose him, send him in for a necropsy by your state vet.

As far as feeding him, the water that you mix with food should be enough if it is around 15 ml per pound 3-4 times a day. But since he is having labored breathing, be cautious feeding him.

Sorry no one has responded in the last few hours. He looks very ill in the video, definitely having neurological symptoms. I wonder if he has Mareks or something else going on with his brain. I would make him comfortable as possible with as little stress as possible. If you lose him, send him in for a necropsy by your state vet.

As far as feeding him, the water that you mix with food should be enough if it is around 15 ml per pound 3-4 times a day. But since he is having labored breathing, be cautious feeding him.

I wish there was more I could do for him :( he had this before but not as bad and I treated him for an ear infection and he was better right away. Nothing is helping this time. I will keep him fed and comfortable. I hope he isn’t in pain. I’m just letting him sleep now.

Back
Top Bottom