wry neck (sky gazing) help

mandarin1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Hi everyone! I went to let my hens out three mornings ago and noticed my runt hen was in the corner of the coop with her neck twisted like you see in wry neck. I'm assuming this is due to injury and after a little research I've tried to get her on the path to recovery, but to me this just looks terrible to go through and I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily, so I wanted to get some other opinions from people who have maybe dealt with this before. I put her in a large wire dog kennel just on the outside of the coop run, so that she would still be by the other chickens, but separated so they could not injure her further, I also put her on crumble instead of pellets mixed with yogurt and have added vitamin e, selenium, and poly vi sol to her diet per this website I found... https://tikktok.wordpress.com/tag/treat-chicken-with-wry-neck/ I also had to put marbles in her water, because she was getting her whole head submerged trying to drink out of it and I didn't want her to inhale the water and drown. This has seemed to help, so that is not happening anymore. It has been a couple days, this will be day three, and I know it says it takes a while for any improvement, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else I could do to help her out and/or speed the healing process up for her or if this is something where I need to cull and put her out of her misery, which I really don't want to do, she's such a sweet girl, I just hate to see any animal suffer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you!!!

there is no way to speed process besides giving essitanal vitamin I've been treating my chciken with wry neck for 6 months don't give up hope acoures you starting giving her vitamins just today took me 2 weeks so yours will most likely take a week or less massing the neck will help once wry neck is cured lower dosages but continue for a while or wry neck will return people say tumeric helps wry neck others say is doesn't.Make sure your feeding her a lot or she will die of starvation this is all you can do for now best of luck

Thank you for the information! It breaks my heart to see her suffering. Her head is between her legs and she can barely walk around, it's more of a flopping and tumbling, poor thing.
sad.png
She has been managing to eat and drink by herself and I've been mixing the vitamins, etc. in the yogurt/crumble mash, but I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial if I just give those to her straight through a medicine dropper to make sure she's getting all of it and I suppose I'll start hand feeding her a bit just to give her a little of a break on trying to do it on her own. Also I've read different amounts of what to give her for the poly vi sol, I've read a full dropper for the day in her food and I've read a few drops a couple times a day, which would be best?

Back
Top Bottom