Wry neck survivability

For chicks this size I use a size 8 tube.
size8_tube.jpg

Thank you everybody for your input! I just made a cocktail out of raw egg yolk, molasses and the gel from the vitamin E + selenium gel caps. I used an eye dropper and dripped little drops on the chick’s beak, in the crack. It seems hungry and actually ate quite a bit! It kicks and flops and chirps a lot, so it looks like it still has a lot of life in it. I’ll add the vitamin b complex to the cocktail tomorrow. Let’s hope this works!

Thank you everybody for your input! I just made a cocktail out of raw egg yolk, molasses and the gel from the vitamin E + selenium gel caps. I used an eye dropper and dripped little drops on the chick’s beak, in the crack. It seems hungry and actually ate quite a bit! It kicks and flops and chirps a lot, so it looks like it still has a lot of life in it. I’ll add the vitamin b complex to the cocktail tomorrow. Let’s hope this works!
Go very slowly(I'm sure you are).
I've used a soaked qtip and hold it against the side of beak.
Liquid seeps into mouth and sometimes stroke under beak and front of neck to stimulate swallowing.

Good luck to you a little guy! Don't forget the water, or preferably electrolyte water, as its went quite awhile without hydration.
That’s right. I have only been giving it other fluids so I forgot about actual water, too. I have a poultry vitamins and electrolytes mix to put in their water, so I’ll use that.

I have fixed my wry necks by giving them yolk water. I make their beak dip. I have one I got from Meyers, he is 7 months old now but still a bit loopy. he crows maybe not as much or as loud as a normal bird. But he is very sweet.
nha.PNG
4pa.PNG

I have fixed my wry necks by giving them yolk water. I make their beak dip. I have one I got from Meyers, he is 7 months old now but still a bit loopy. he crows maybe not as much or as loud as a normal bird. But he is very sweet. View attachment 2627595View attachment 2627583
This is very encouraging, thank you! I had given up. Glad to see your boy made it!

Go very slowly(I'm sure you are).
I've used a soaked qtip and hold it against the side of beak.
Liquid seeps into mouth and sometimes stroke under beak and front of neck to stimulate swallowing.
Yeah, it’s quite a slow process. It keeps its beak closed, so I put a drop on it, which prompts it to open its beak a little and swallow. So I wait for it to swallow and repeat. At least it doesn’t need help actually swallowing. And I think it liked my cocktail. It would resist the NutriDrench, turn away from the dropper or shake its head, but with the fancy cocktail, it waits and swallows patiently.

Guys, we have progress!!! For the first time in three days! This morning Crooky woke me up early and looked very active, flopping around but also, for the first time, occasionally managing to balance himself on his feet and sit in an upright position (up until today he could only lie on his back). And, for the first time, when I picked him up and went to feed him, he reached for the dropper and pecked it! And kept reaching and pecking! That's the most coordinated and intentional movement he's made so far. His head is still mostly upside down, but he brought it forward enough to peck the dropper, and also brought it all the way down to normal to look at my daughter, who was watching. He seems to REALLY want to right himself and stand on his feet, and can do it with a little help or on his own for brief moments. I guess we'll need to do some physical therapy, to strengthen his muscles, since he hasn't been moving much. There might actually be hope for this poor little thing! Thank you everybody for the help and inspiration!

His usual position:
D36C260B-FCAD-4719-82E4-45EFB10C15B2.jpeg

And now he does some of this for brief periods:
E5392E6A-1C5D-467D-A40D-938320095BE0.jpeg

P.S. He isn't fully fluffed up because feeding is such a messy business, I have to periodically wipe him down with a damp paper towel. He's isolated in the incubator though, with the temperature lowered to 90-ish, so he won't be cold.

Good news and bad news. Good news: Crooky is making progress, eating/drinking well and pooping normal-looking poops (three today). He is now able to stand for longer stretches, even manages to walk a little! Bad news: he has developed a weird subcutaneous bubble on the back of his neck, on the right side. It wasn’t there two hours ago when I last fed him. It feels light and squishy like it’s filled with air rather than fluid, and the skin is stretched quite a bit there. What is that? He hasn’t had any injuries (that I’m aware of) and is isolated by himself. There’s a wet brown spot on the paper towel that looks like he might have leaked some of his food out... being that it’s liquid and his head is upside down... But nothing else out of the ordinary. What could have caused the bubble, and what should I do about it?

7EDFAA7F-DC13-4491-8EBC-7CA83642D2D2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom