Wry Neck symptoms from injury, don't give up.

Michael A

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Lake Asbury , Florida
IMG_9923 (1).JPG
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0005 (2).jpg
This is my first year owning chickens but I wanted to share an experience that i hope will help others.

I had a chicken showing symptoms of Wry Neck, twisting her head upside down and falling. Initially I was not sure what caused it but i came to suspect it was from a fall.

I was worried she would die or that i would have to put her down

I searched the forums and found what i thought the best treatment to be and it worked for us
1. Isolation in a quiet dark space so the other girls didn't peck at her
2. Vitamin E 400iu and Seleium 25 mcg. Which i mixed into rice and scrambled eggs
3. Patience

*She just laid around for a day or two but was eating and drinking
*I put her out to free range and she did ok. but when i approached she got scared and twisted her neck
*She could not find her way back into the coop at night so I set her in a nesting box and the rest of the girls left her alone.
*Then she took a turn for the worse. She was lying upside down and convulsing a bit at the end of a day. I almost decided to put her down but decided to just let her get a nights sleep and see how she was in the morning

The next morning she was better, I let her free range, everyday she got a bit better and eventually she was able to get back in the coop by herself. Then she started roosting with the girls instead of sleeping on the ground

It's been two months and we would never know she was injured. She's laying and acting 100% normal.

I have learned that chickens are pretty resilient.

How the injury happened? I built roost for them in my coop but they all wanted to get into the rafters which are about 5 feet off the ground and would knock each other out from time to time. I think that's how she was injured; in a fall from 5 feet. I have closed up the rafters and now they all roost on the branches which are about 2 feet above the ground. Hopefully we won't have any more injuries

Attachments

• IMG_9923 (1).JPG
    IMG_9923 (1).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    IMG_0005 (2).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom