Wry neck symptoms

Tuftul

Chirping
Jul 9, 2018
Hi , so I have a 13 week old silkie cockerel with wry neck symptoms. When we first noticed something was wrong (6/8 I think), it was just a small head tilt. I brought him inside and immediately started giving vitamin e with selenium and polyvisol. The next day he was standing with a slight head tilt still. Ever since than it has been turned all the way around.

He now keeps his legs straight, panics and can't stand at all. We noticed a lump above his eye. Not sure if that was the root cause or if he hurt himself flailing around. I can get him situated to where he is able to lay and have his head in the semi right position. But he panics and then ends up kicking himself out every so often. I'm worried there's more of a neurological problem. Is wry neck this extreme? The cases I've found videos of seem to be able to stand at least.

Also, he has diarrhea now. I think I was overloading the vitamins. Hopefully that will end soon.

How much polyvisol, vitamin E and selenium were you giving? Most people use 400 IU of vitamin E, a small amount of B vitamins for thiamine, and give a little scrambled egg for selenium. Selenium is needed in such a small amount, usually a bit of egg daily, is enough to boost vitamin E.
Was your little guy vaccinated for Mareks disease?

Thank you for replying. No he wasn't vaccinated. But none of the his siblings are acting strange.
I was doing the vitamin E with selenium 400iu once a day. I couldn't find anything about vitamin E being given too much so I was adding an extra vitamin E without selenium. I've cut back yesterday and today. So hopefully diarrhea will discontinue.

He's been eating fairly well. He didn't take regular feed yesterday, but a little yogurt, watermelon and scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom