1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry neck - tube feed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by schnebbles, Dec 3, 2013.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I'll start off with my flock of 5 has been exposed to mareks, have lost 3 already.

A d'uccle pullet seems to have wry neck now. I don't know if it's anything mareks related or not.

I can feel the bend in her neck. I've been giving vitamin e, selenium and was giving a small dose of prednisone but quit when I read it's bad for immune system.

She has not been eating at all and I don't think drinking. She got a little drink with the vitamins but not much.

Brought her in last night and only saw a tiny amount of urates overnight. Fed her a little kaytee bird food out of a dropper.

Fed her a little more tonight, it's hard to get much down her. Gave her some drinks in between food.

Should attempt tube feeding? I'm really hesitant her neck being crooked.

I got some nutri-drench today and added some to the food mix, with vitamin e and selenium. I'm careful not to overdose the selenium too.

Any ideas? Should I try a neck brace? She can sit, but doesn't walk and tucks her head back in energy saving mode.

thanks!

2. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    well, I was dropper feeding her and not getting much in so tonight I decided to try the tube. I got a decent amount in her.

I was then out in the kitchen and my DH said wow, your chicken is out here eating like crazy! She's still eating over 1/2 hour later. and drinking.

I put nutri-drench in the mix and I wonder if this could be the extremely sudden burst of energy? I have never used it before.

I'm so glad to see her moving! she was totally lethargic for the past few days and losing weight because she wasn't eating at all.

I hope I'm not excited for nothing. I've seen sudden bursts of energy only to have animals die shortly after.

I feel like maybe she needed that energy just to be able to eat.

here's hoping!

3. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    I just wanted to wish you well in treating your girl, I am glad she has perked up! I know how stressful it can be to take care of a bird with wry neck. I have a Silkie chick that I am treating at the moment. Fortunately he is still eating well but he can only eat and drink if I hold him. Otherwise he has his head between his legs and his bottom pushed up in a corner. I really haven't seen much improvement yet but then we are only on day 4 of baby vitamins, Vit E and Selenium. I will give it another 10 days or so and then may consider prednisone if I haven't seen any improvement on vitamins alone. I have been reluctant to leave water in with him because I am afraid he will get his head stuck and aspirate or even drown. Poor guy, it had to be our most skittish chick too...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You know what I'll say, lol. I've tubed a couple with neck issues and you do them the same, just give them a little less more often.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I've treated (well tried) 3 with mareks and they all died.

For all I know, what she has could be mareks related but I don't know. Her neck isn't down, it's more bent in a zag to the left in her neck going to her left side.

I haven't found any articles that say wry neck could be a symptom of mareks. But I question how on earth she could have a deficiency. They get the chicken vitamins and electrolytes in the water all the time and they were eating purina flock grower so I'm sure they should be nutritionally ok.

I hope your little guy improves and I'd agree no water, you'd feel terrible if something happened with it.

Today marks a week since I've been giving Priscilla vitamin e and selenium.

my chicken experience has been awful so far, getting mareks just really sucks. Just got my kiddos in the spring and have lost 3 :( I sure love them though!

6. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Kathy - I thought of asking you last night. It went ok - not as easy as a weaker chicken but I got enough down and with the nutri-drench, I'm really glad I tried it! It's so much faster than dropper and not knowing what they get.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Glad it worked for you... For me it's kept several of my Marek's, pox and blackhead patients alive, that's for sure. Which reminds me, lol, it's time to tube them again, two Marek's, three wet pox and one blackhead. [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by