Wry neck turkey poults

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I noticed yesterday that one of my poults has wry neck and today I see that two more do as well. They are about six weeks old and are housed with some younger chickens. I've not dealt with this before. I would prefer to treat each poult individually rather than put meds in the water for everyone. No stores are open today so anything I get will have to be tomorrow.

No other symptoms that I can see except for one being somewhat lethargic. The others are walking around, eating, and drinking like normal. No obvious respiratory problems.

I have sucsesfully treated wry neck in a crested duckling. I would suggest either polyvisol without iron given via dropper to the poults with symptoms, or poultry nutri drench in the community waterer. It is suggested that they be treated to 10 weeks, even if symptoms improve.

So you didn't treat with antibiotics? I have read about wry neck being associated with respiratory stuff so that's why I posted that they don't have those symptoms. It could just be a vitamin deficiency?

From what i have read a majority of the time it is a vitamin deficiency and is fairly common in turkey poults and ducklings. I'm guessing it is because most people feed them chick starter, which doesn't have all of the vitamins and minerals they need. I had no idea my ducklings needed more. I, like many others, received bad information from the feed store.

Good to know and certainly worth a try to add nutri drench. I may even be able to find somewhere open today that has it. Thanks!

I got some nutri drench and dosed the three with wry neck directly as well as put some in the waterer. One if the poults is very lethargic and I doubt it will make it. I got some water in it as well since I'm not sure it has been getting up to drink. The other two are still active so I'm hopeful they will get better.

Back
Top Bottom