WRY NECK ? ** UPDATE** She did not make it. pg 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shay20, Jan 25, 2010.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Hello, ok i belive i have a chick with wry neck, this is my first with this promblem.
    Poop is normal, eyes are clear , noise is clear no respitory promblems at all.
    She eats and drinks normal.

She is about 4 to 5 months old now, i just changed her over from med chick starter to egg layer pellets 2 days ago, and i noticed this yesterday, she was fine before this. just started this yesterday.

Her neck goes to one side as if it is stiff, but she will move it almost upright to eat and drink, a few times she drinks with her head to the side.

sometimes when she looks at me it looks as if she is turning her head backwards.

I was giveing her a normal does of avc in her water along with all others. now she is by herself.

For a good home remedy what would be good?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Thats excatly what she is doing. how do i make something for a small chicken? hmmm lots of resaerch tomorow, thank you for that link.

4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    i added pics of my little girl.

5. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    go to this topic www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=842&p=2 and look under post #16. You'll see a link to dlunicorn's site that you can click on. It brings you to the directions for treating wry neck (crookneck). Good luck! I just got a chick with the crookneck today and was trying to figure out what to do when I came across that page. It is the best I've found so far.

6. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    I just treated my 4 month old Buff Orphanington, vitamin B12, vitamin E, Poly Vi-Sol three times a day. I'm not sure that it took all the vitamins, but this was suggested and so I used this method. It took 3 weeks before she was back in the coop. I crushed the vit B12, opened vit E-400 iu and poured it on scrambled egg and or cooked oatmeal, dropped 4 drops of Poly Vi-Sol (without) iron on egg also. See my other posts on her progress. Best Wishes to you and your chicky.

[​IMG]

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Thanks you guys, now the vitemins are they the bottled ones at like a walmart for peaple?

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    crush up selenium pills and put in feed and some in water (make sure it eats some every day) and sqirt a capsul of vitamin e down throat twice a day in morning and night

If you do both of these vitamins for a week or a little more they should heal just fine.

9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Now i switched her back onto med chick starter, i should leave her on taht right? and give hers scrambled eggs with yogurt.

10. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Quote:Yes and make sure the polyvisol is not the Iron one. I just had a silkie chick with this. I gave her three drops of polyvisol once a day. I found it easier to mix a capsule of vit. E and a few drops of polyvisol with yogurt and chick crumbles and spoon fed it to her. Within a few days her head was no longer upside down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by