Wry neck? What do I do? I need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cityfarmer88, Apr 15, 2017.

1. cityfarmer88

cityfarmer88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    My 7 week old silkie frizzle has wry neck I think it started last night she couldn't walk or stand up she hasn't wanted to eat or drink now this morning her head is upside down it keeps twisting I don't know what to do for her please help she's such a sweet little girl she has my heart broken [​IMG]

2. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]
    So sad. What can I do to help her she was completely fine before this

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is Priscilla on Thursday she was fine she was also fine Friday morning then Friday night something went wrong now her head is upside down and she can't walk

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck usually causes twisting up of the neck, down, or to the side, and can cause walking in circles or backward.I'm not aware that it causes lameness. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks could be a possibility, although I would really hope not, and would investigate any other possibility. Could she have suffered a head injury? Wry neck is usually treated with chick vitamins in the water containing vitamin E, thiamine, and I would also give her a little chopped egg for selenium. Make a watery slurry of her chicken feed with water, a tsp of plain yogurt, and some egg, and try to help her eat. Make sure that she can reach her food and water. Here is an article about wry neck:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Here are some articles on Mareks disease:
    http://www.thehappychickencoop.com/mareks-disease/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016

6. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    She said to do this once a day and give her an aspirin twice a day for at least two days then just once a day one everything she said sometimes they come out of it fast so I'm praying for a good Easter Sunday I hope my little chicky makes it I love her to pieces

If anyone has any other advice please let me know I will update her status good or bad thank you

7. cityfarmer88

Jun 7, 2016
    No head injury that I know of she's only in the cage with one other chick and she was fine then all of a sudden she didn't look right could stand up straight and couldn't walk her head is twisted upside down and she can't control her head

I have successfully have her the first does I got her to drink a few drops of water

The water is a little harder I don't want to drown her so I dipped her neck into a plastic spoon and helped support her head and neck become it spins around this is kinda scary when it does that I'm so worried for her she is now just resting I'm trying to keep her comfortable with some towels and keep it quite and warm for her not to warm

I'm pretty sure she had a shot I'm gonna ask my lady next time I call her she puts her chickens in shows she cares a lot for her chickens so I'm pretty sure she did but I will ask she has the most beautiful farm and most beautiful chickens I've ever seen, amazing

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks vaccines are usually effective when given the shot as a day old chick, and when they are kept away from any area where there has been dust and dander from a carrier bird. Vaccines are not 100% effective. I really hope it is not Mareks, but I would contact your state vet to get a necropsy to look for Mareks if she should not make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by