Wry neck? Worms? Impacted crop? I'm so confused!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfishfarm, Feb 26, 2015.

1. chickenfishfarm

chickenfishfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    This poor little roo is suffering! At first he just started stumbling like he was drunk, on examination his neck seems arched and his crop is soft. The hens started pecking his head so I sprayed it. I've been researching but not making much progress. He's so sad to look at, I'm wondering if he's suffering too much. Any input appreciated.[​IMG]
    Hayley

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I had a similar issue last winter with a rooster and a hen. For a few days I had to try and steady their heads to take water and food. I would suggest picking up a childrens poly vi sol without iron, vitamin e with selenium, and vitamin rich foods like spinach. I also put an electrolyte in the water the first day. I fed eggs, spinach, worms, anything I could get them interested in. Also check him over really well of mites or lice. You'd be surprised at how much damage those little creatures can do. I would keep him separate from the others for now and warm. If you haven't wormed him I suggest that as well. Valbazen is good and safeguard liquid wormer for goats.

You mentioned his crop is soft. If you smell his little breath is it stinky?

3. chickenfishfarm

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks for the thoughtful response, I think now his crop is soft because he can't get any food in there! I'm going to try the vitamins. I bought some Vit E, having a hard time getting him to eat because of the crazy head wobble. We are in AZ so the temps are ok, but I've got him in a garage separated from the flock just in case. It's really hard to watch. :(

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I understand. Just try to gently balance his head while he tries to eat and drink. I tried every 1/2 hour. They had no control of their heads and we're really uncoordinated while eating. It took a few days until they could do it on their own.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Vitamin E is wonderful but if you suspect wry neck...he will also benefit from Vitamin B too...I had a Roo with wry neck and I considered ending his life...however, vitamin B and E have changed his life...he took ages to get better but he is a wonderful Roo...and so well worth my time in helping him to get over his problems...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  6. chickenfishfarm

Sep 6, 2011
    Thank you, I guess I will try the multi-vitamin approach. I am not a rooster keeper, I let my broody hatch someone's fertile eggs and ended up with "Mr. Cutie" (named by a 4 year old). There is no way I can be feeding him every 1/2 hour, is there still hope?
    Hayley

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Yes there's hope. Just try to help him when you can and leave it where he can easily access it. Try to mark the container so you can keep track of what he's eating and drinking. I didn't do it all night just while I was home (should have specified) It didn't take long before they had enough strength to take care of themselves. I just waited then until they were fully recovered to take them back to the flock. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by