Wry Neck

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
Hi i have been treating a Dominique since she was 2 months old Ive tried my hardest to keep her alive since we got her shes always been my favorite.The first day she was acting weird we immediately thought it was coccidiosis because she was pooping red poop and was not eating we gave her corid and did not get better after 2 weeks of giving her corid we thought she had mites but hat was not the case a week after that i saw her symptoms were a lot of wry neck so we went to the store and got sav a chick she was way better not flipping over eating drinking and occasionally kicking other peoples but when they were invading her food:). She was better but not like the others her neck was on the other side of her body and she would walk very slowly and clumsy to this day she is similar like she was 3 months ago there was little thing that are better now but not much she can eat,drink and have plenty of dust bathes.But i just feel like she will never get better Ive been doing it for so long and she hasn't fully recovered every morning i give her 2 vitamin e gel caps and because we cant find stores that sell selenium we give her sunflower seeds.I just feel hopeless..any help please :(

I have a 1 year old rooster who hatched with severe wry neck...so I've been there. It took months to get him to where he is at now. My advice would be to add vitamin B complex (human vitamins) and polyvisol children's liquid vitamins without iron . No iron is important. One crushed vit B tablet in moistened chicken food or scrambled egg daily and 2 drops polyvisol. I hope that helps. My little guy didn't actually show improvement until I added the vit B complex. Also don't abruptly stop treatment. Once she seems better continue all treatment for another week and then slowly reduce doses rather that just stop. Let me know how it goes. I know it's a frustrating disease to deal with.

I have b complex pills but it contains vitamin c would that be ok also how much do I give him I don't want to overdose him thanks

I just did a quick search on vit C on here and although it doesn't sound like it's something chickens need, there's some knowledgeable folks saying it won't hurt. From what I have read from vit B anything not used by the body is easily expelled so no danger of over dosing. Here's the vits I gave my little guy. He is an old English Game Bantam chick so very tiny.

Wry neck is certainly a journey of 2 steps forward and 1 step back. My guy had several relapses before finally seeming to balance out. I wouldn't call him completely "normal"...but he functions fully to be a happy chicken. Best wishes and do update when you can.

Edited to add: keep up with the vit E and sunflower seeds! Just add the rest to her treatment

Last edited:
I'm dealing with a wry-neck baby as well. She's not so much as baby, as she's almost 20 weeks. This is only day 3 of trying to treat her & I'm a total wreck today. She seems to get worse at night so when I get her in the morning, she looks like an exorcist chicken. However, normally I can straighten her neck out & get her to eat or drink. I couldn't really get that to happen this morning...
1f622.png

I will be going to the store tonight to get vitamin b complex pills what's the dosage you give yours?

I'm dealing with a wry-neck baby as well. She's not so much as baby, as she's almost 20 weeks. This is only day 3 of trying to treat her & I'm a total wreck today. She seems to get worse at night so when I get her in the morning, she looks like an exorcist chicken. However, normally I can straighten her neck out & get her to eat or drink. I couldn't really get that to happen this morning...
1f622.png

Don't get discouraged...it's not always an over night fix. When I was going through this I read so many stories about miraculous cures in a matter of days. My experience wasn't like that. These guys need a calm environment (sudden noises and lots of activity seems to worsen symptoms) and I did find that gentle neck rubs occasionally helped to relax those muscles. Is your girl in the coop at night?

I will try to Find the same one you got and how do you give it to her is it water vitamin? Do I put it in eggs

Back
Top Bottom