1. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    I have a 10 month old EE hen. She hasn't laid since September, and has been molting since. Still has some feathers almost in. Anyways, she wasn't going in the coop at night, she's the lowest in the coop,small flock. So with the warm weather it didnt surprise me. Well, I noticed she definitely came down with wry neck. I have her in a cage at night, i let her in the pen part of her area, closed from
    The rest to eat and drink. She still eats and drinks on her own, but only a little. I have beem giving her vitamin e oil 2 days now. Her water i made from sav a chik electrolytes, acv and pulverized spinach leaves. I read all i could on this, and know it can take days to see improvement. Will the vitamin e oil work as well as breaking open the capsules? Should i get her polyvisol? Any help would be appreciated. I feel so bad for her, as much as im enjoying a bit of house time with her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck can be a symptom of many different conditions. Give her some chopped egg or canned tuna that contains selenium, which helps in absorbing the vitamin E. Head injuries, outdated feed, Mareks disease, and other diseases can cause wry neck symptoms.

3. ArmindaChick84

ArmindaChick84 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    New Carlisle Ohio
    [​IMG]I need some help. I have a black astrolop chick that I noticed was tilting her head. She was eating and drinking fine. I called the place where I bought the chicks all 12 of them and they referred me to the hatchery they get them from. Called the hatchery and they told me it could be twisted neck. That they are to young to get merick disease. But to call their vet. I allied him and he told me to separate her from the other chicks and give her kids vitamins mixed in her water. I did that and gave her some from are dropper. I just checked on her and she expelled everything she has ate and drank today. She's very lethargic and her head tilting is worse. The other chicks are skiddish like young chicks are suppose to be. The sick one is a cuddle bug and won't let me put her down. If I do she calls out. I think she's dying and don't know what else to do! She wont eat or drink bow. Any suggestions?[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep giving her the vitamins every day.I would make her a little pen by herself with food and water.It will take a week or so until she gets better wry neck is a long treatment.

5. ArmindaChick84

Dec 29, 2016
    New Carlisle Ohio
    She has stopped taking water and food. She expelled everything from her crop. Is this normal or is it something else?

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    That is bad.She may have other problems going on.

1 person likes this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give her some water (some electrolytes or pedialyte would be great) with a dropper. Give one drop at a time so as not to choke her. Sometimes just dipping the beak gently into a small cup of water is the esiest way to get them to drink. Feel of her crop in the upper right side of her chest, to see if it is full or empty, soft or hard. Wry or twisted neck can be a symptom of head injury, dehydration or lack of food, vitamin deficiency, and other conditions. If she will not eat or drink tonight, then place her back with the other chicks withtheir brooder light on, since she may eat in their pressence.

1 person likes this.
  8. ArmindaChick84

Dec 29, 2016
    New Carlisle Ohio
    The vet said something about possible head trauma. I don't know what could have caused that. All the chicks get along and don't pick on eachoher. I am afraid if it is something viral or contagious it will hurt my other chicks. That's why I had her separated. As for putting her back into the pen with the other ones don't you think that since she has gotten worse the other chicks will pick on her?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. ArmindaChick84

Dec 29, 2016
    New Carlisle Ohio
    Well she has not gotten any better. As a matter of fact she's gotten worse. Can't stand won't drink. I'm afraid if I put her back in with the other chicks she will be stressed. She's in a cage balled up in the corner. I drip vitamine water on her beak and she just shakes it off. Tried to feed her scrambled eggs and oatmeal mixed and she wouldn't touch it even when she's balled up in a towel and head positioned to eat. I am afraid I am going to have to put her down. I'll give her to tonight to see if she perks up. But she's just sleeps.

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Wry neck can be a symptom of many diseases such as Mareks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by