Wry neck

Dharmachick

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 14, 2015
Goldendale, WA
My chick developed wry neck when she was 3 weeks old. She was a beautiful blue laced red Wyandotte. I read everything here on wry neck, and did vitamin E and selenium for 3 months to no avail. Yesterday she was in constant spasm, and could not eat or drink, so I had to put her down. It was horrible. Really, really horrible. I had to kill this chick I had nurtured for 3 months. I really had a hard time with it. It seemed like she just wouldn't die. Anyway, if I ever get a chick with wry neck again, I will euthanize her before she is 4 months old and a part of my life. I had read to give them 3 months, but no, I don't agree. Neurological damage doesn't heal.

Sorry for your loss. Wry neck can be a symptom of vitamin deficiency, a hereditary tendency, head injury, and due to some diseases such as Mareks and others. Thiamine deficiency, as well as vitamin E, can be a cause, and should be used in treatment.

It must have been something neurological. I bought her at a feed store to keep my chocolate orpington chick company, since only one egg hatched. I was so bonded to her from feeding her 4 times a day, and then she would have a snuggle with her head hidden in my hair. I over-reacted I think, which made it worse for me, not her. It was quick for her which is what I wanted. That evening, when my son went to put away the chickens for the night, Pip, a very cute, friendly, always into something, sneaking in through the dog door pullet simply disappeared. It must have been an eagle because there is no trace of her or any blood. Double sad. All the chickens are upset, and looking for her. I know this happens, and we only keep the chickens we're attached to so it is always a loss.

Thank you for your response, @Eggcessive, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom