Wry neck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jparsons, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    Hi, I have a duck approximately 5 weeks old, she has had wry neck for almost 4 weeks now. We have been trying vitamin treatments and we have her separated from the other two ducks. She hasn't shown any signs of improvement she is able to eat and drink, but her head remains side ways/upside down. Is there anything else that we can try, also sense she is able to eat and drink, can she be placed with our other two ducks. I have no idea if this was caused by injury, she came to us in a great state, the day after she wasn't standing that welk, we took her to the vet they told us everything looked fine on her x ray, she had a vitamin deficiency well as soon as we started her on vitamins smthe next day she was on her feet but with wry neck, she was 3 days old at the time, our vet said she would be okay with the other 2 birds.

2. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    What vitamins is she on? What are you feeding? And can you post a picture?

3. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    Dumor 20% grower/starter for food with brewers yeast on top. We have been supplementing vitamin E capsules, liquid vitamin B, and selenium separately. Also, poultry nutri drench and poly visol (no iron).

DuckyDonna and cheezenkwackers like this.
  4. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    We started the vitamins after she had wry neck around a week old.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    How are you giving the vitamins? I had a Welsh Harlequin duckling with the same problem. We kept her in with her sibling and would mix the vitamins (b complex and selenium) with hard boiled egg yolks and then mix that with their crumble. We also gave them thawed peas for treats (high in selenium). She grew to have a mostly straight neck except when she was scared. At 7 weeks she went to her new home with her sister. Sadly, she drown when her new owner gave them a deep pool and left them unsupervised. I think your duckling will improve over time. Hang in there!
    0A58F2DF-2E33-4BFC-A6B3-88CA911961B5.jpeg 137608B0-9170-498A-94F3-F27CFAD71A18.jpeg

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    We give her the vitamins in a shallow bowl with a little bit of water and her food mixed in so we know she is getting it all. The brewers yeast we just sprinkle on top of her food. And we put multi vitamins in her water. She eats and drinks and walks around fine. It's just been a month with no signs of improvement and we are worried her neck will never straighten. If so I think she can still have a good quality of life, we are unsure about if/when to put her out with her siblings. We have kept her separated since her wry neck started.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I’d introduce her back to them slowly maybe have them all out together to see how they react to her if she hasn’t been with them for a month she is just going to be a new duck and sometimes they can get picked on. And that may set her back even further. Supervised visits to start I’d rec. and I hope you see improvement soon.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  8. Jparsons

Jparsons In the Brooder

Dec 18, 2018
    Thank you!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    You might want to do neck messages during swim time. I did that with my extreme wry neck case. It took me two months to get better. I used eggs, parsley, liquid b complex, for my vitamin e and selenium because they are fat soluble instead of water soluble like b complex.

As for re introduction I did like Miss Lydia said and did slow reintroductions. For me my Welshies were like a mini mafia so I took one and let that one be with Ryker and eat treats. Then again with a different one next time. But every flock is different.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: