Wry neck?

AlishasDucks

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
Hi,
This is one of my 3 day old Khaki Campbell ducklings (only one born yellow the rest are brown)
He was born with his neck crocked and cannot hold it up. I’m suspecting wry neck?
I have been giving him brewers yeast added on top of his food, and vitamin B complex into his water. I have him in a separate brooder box, and I assist with feeding and drinking. He rolls around in his attempt to walk but cannot stand. He also has one of his legs that bends backwards and his foot isn’t flat. I attempted to tape it with painters tape but it made it so much more difficult for him to move around with his back neck.
Am I using the right technique to treat his neck? Does anyone know how long it should take to see any improvement in his neck?
is it okay to treat his neck first then his foot second? Thanks for any input
8CBE6F07-D990-45AF-80FF-FE1A2292A91F.jpeg

I'm sorry to hear about your duckling.

It does appear she has Wry neck. There are lots of conditions that can such problems like nutritional deficiencies, neurological damage, metabolic disorders, viral or bacterial infections, toxicosis among a few more.

Unless I have a reason to treat for something else, when I tend to get one here I tend to start off treating that the underlying problem is nutritional related. The two vitamins that can really cause this type of neurological disablement are thiamine (B1) and vitamin E. So try to focus highly on giving her those two vitamins.

For the B1, go to your nearest feed store, and pick up some Cattle B complex injectable, and give her a few drops a day. For vitamin E, get some human 400iu soft gel capsules, and try to get one whole capsule in her once a day as well. For a boost of other vitamins, you can offer mashed scrambled eggs, and if it's easier for her to eat, you can provide a warm soupy duckling starter.

If the issue doesn't correct, or get better in a week, it may be best to start considering other problems, or if the condition of the bird has worsened euthanize here.

1604316045827.png

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/201...eak into a,packed with vitamins and nutrients.

I'm sorry to hear about your duckling.

It does appear she has Wry neck. There are lots of conditions that can such problems like nutritional deficiencies, neurological damage, metabolic disorders, viral or bacterial infections, toxicosis among a few more.

Unless I have a reason to treat for something else, when I tend to get one here I tend to start off treating that the underlying problem is nutritional related. The two vitamins that can really cause this type of neurological disablement are thiamine (B1) and vitamin E. So try to focus highly on giving her those two vitamins.

For the B1, go to your nearest feed store, and pick up some Cattle B complex injectable, and give her a few drops a day. For vitamin E, get some human 400iu soft gel capsules, and try to get one whole capsule in her once a day as well. For a boost of other vitamins, you can offer mashed scrambled eggs, and if it's easier for her to eat, you can provide a warm soupy duckling starter.

If the issue doesn't correct, or get better in a week, it may be best to start considering other problems, or if the condition of the bird has worsened euthanize here.

View attachment 2396250

https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2014/04/preventing-and-treating-wry-neck-in.html#:~:text=Treatment for Wry Neck in Chicks and Ducklings&text=(Dipping the beak into a,packed with vitamins and nutrients.
Thanks so much for all your help. I’ll be starting this new treatment today.

Back
Top Bottom