Wry neck

Lovesumchicks

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I have been dealing with a chick with wry neck for about 4 weeks now and I put him back in the coop about a week and a half ago and the other day it seemed to be doing so much better almost normal then I checked this morning and it was worse now than ever. He seems to have a eye issue as well like crusty. I need advice on should I cull or keep nursing. I currently have him inside giving fluids. The first picture was when he was a week old and the last 2 are of him now.

Attachments

• 20201203_091350.jpg
    20201203_091350.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201203_194217.jpg
    20201203_194217.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201222_090057.jpg
    20201222_090057.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201222_090139.jpg
    20201222_090139.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 8
They can recover, but wry neck a lot of times kills before the 4 week mark. I would try to do more personally, but it's up to you. Be patient, more help will come.

What have you been treating the wry neck with? Normally a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency can be a cause of wry neck in chicks. Other causes are head injury, heredity, or in older birds, Mareks can be a cause. I recommend giving 400 IU of vitamin E softgels daily, some thiamine which is in most chick vitamins, polyvisol without iron, and human B complex tablets. A small amount of scrambled egg for selenium helps uptake of E.

Clean the eye with water or saline and a tissue. Apply a small dab of plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times daily. She may have been pecked in the eye, or it could be a sign of infection or respiratory infection.

What have you been treating the wry neck with? Normally a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency can be a cause of wry neck in chicks. Other causes are head injury, heredity, or in older birds, Mareks can be a cause. I recommend giving 400 IU of vitamin E softgels daily, some thiamine which is in most chick vitamins, polyvisol without iron, and human B complex tablets. A small amount of scrambled egg for selenium helps uptake of E.

Clean the eye with water or saline and a tissue. Apply a small dab of plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times daily. She may have been pecked in the eye, or it could be a sign of infection or respiratory infection.
I have been doing all those things since she was 3 day's old. On friday she was almost completely normal but I never stopped treatment then this morning she was worse than the beginning. I was thinking about this earlier it could be irritated due to her laying her head under her and she could have had a shaving irritating it. I have been steadily today syringe nutri drench water. She is so weak she can't even open her beak anymore I have to do it but she does swallow perfect. So far I have gotten 4 ml down her but no food or eggs I can't get her to take them

I have been doing all those things since she was 3 day's old. On friday she was almost completely normal but I never stopped treatment then this morning she was worse than the beginning. I was thinking about this earlier it could be irritated due to her laying her head under her and she could have had a shaving irritating it. I have been steadily today syringe nutri drench water. She is so weak she can't even open her beak anymore I have to do it but she does swallow perfect. So far I have gotten 4 ml down her but no food or eggs I can't get her to take them
This was her on the far right last week

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-18-21-23-19.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-18-21-23-19.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
She just had a stool and it doesn't look the greatest but looks like she had ate something prior to me bringing her in

Attachments

• 20201222_140819.jpg
    20201222_140819.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom