wry neck

Jinxchick

Chirping
May 4, 2021
North wales uk
Hi guys I came home from work yesterday and it looks like my 8 month old silkie female has wry neck her head is completely twisted making it very difficult to get food or drink into her, reading up on it it says vitamin e and selenium deficiency, I thought I had all that covered I feed layers and give sardines and tuna weekly plus veggies fruit and sunflower seeds as treats as well as vitamins in their water plus oyster shells, I have 2 other silkies a male and female who have all been together since 3 months old and not had any issues with them at all, I was thinking possibly make a collar of some sort to help support her head I tried a toilet roll cut down and padded but she hated it, I have separated her at the minute as I don’t want her trampled on, she is wrapped up in a blanket she can’t seem to walk but flaps her wings and moves her legs when I pick her up to give her vitamin water but she is not interested in food or drink at all, I have ordered vitamin e and selenium it should be here tomorrow, as anyone made a foam collar what did they use and how, sorry about the long post just so worried and helpless, I have spoke to 2 vets as none in my area know about chickens and both advised pts debbie x

Good morning: I have had silkies for years and have had a few with wry neck. I thought it was vitamin B defeciency. I bought vitamin and electrolytes from TSC and put it in the water every week without fail for all the birds and it helps. For an extreme case (and I have had a few birds who still got the condition, like yours, despite the added vitamins) I got about 1/8 tsp of the powder, put it on a plate, and get a small ( about the size of your little fingers nail) amount of COLD butter. Roll it in the powder. Don't let the butter get soft! Take it to the coop, open the silkies mouth and pop it in the mouth right to the back. Hold her beak shut gently till she swallows. I know it seems hard , it will get easier with practice! Now I know there will be lots of outrage because the vitamin powder is not precisely measured but this is the only solution that worked for extreme cases for me. At least it saves the hens life! I did this once a week and kept her separated until the symptoms are gone.
Hope it helps

Thank you much I will give that a try, she really creates a fuss when I pick her up so she’s still feisty she just Looks awful as she doesn’t even try to move even when she poops should I give her a warm Epsom bath or would that be too much for her x

Back
Top Bottom