Wry Neck???

CatsCrazyCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Putnam Valley, NY
Hi.

I have a silkie, Sophie. Approximately 8 weeks old.

She was pecked about 2 weeks ago -- see injury below:
94364_sophie_wound.jpg

I isolated her and she healed fairly nicely... but her head just recently seems to be 'crooked' so from some research I am gathering it is wry neck. Please see below for angle of her head. She CAN hold it relatively straight, but when she eats and drinks... this is pretty much it:
94364_sophie_1.jpg

94364_sophie_2.jpg

What is the prognosis. I read some things that said there is no help for her and she will die. Even though I only paid $4.50 for her, she is my baby and I would like to try and help her, but I have no idea what to do...
...I know I should handle one thing at a time, but reintroducing her to her group, that she grew up with the first 6 weeks - and then my flock of 18 week olds... it seems like it will never work.

Begging for help here.
Thanks

I know that some people claim to have had success using Poli-vi-sol, it's a vitamin supplement, I had my first case of wry neck on an 10 wk old bird I couldn't lose and all the treatments and the special care did nothing to improve her quality of life. She could eat and drink fine but just allways had that floppy head thing going. After 1 mo of messing with her and knowing she wouldn't get better, I tired of messing with a lost cause and had to end her misery.

Hi, I am no expert but what has worked for me is to give them a vitamin and electrolyte mix in their water. In my research it is suggested that wry neck can be caused by a nutritional deficiency Good luck.

My daughter has a Polish that had that same problem at about 10 days old. She read quite a few posts on BYC recommending using PolyViSol without iron (baby vitamins) and Vit E drops. I had my doubts but it worked! He's 2 1/2 mo old now, his/her name is "Tilt" and is doing wonderful. She saw results in less than 2 days, it seems like the very next day Tilt was already getting better. She gave him 2 drops of vitamins every 4 hrs and 3 drops of Vit E 2-3 times a day. It's definitely well worth a shot. When she started the vitamins I'd have bet money he wouldn't be alive in 2 days. But he got better fast.
Edit: I should've specified-yes, his neck started straightening out right away. By the next day you could already tell he was holding it straighter. There's hope for your baby
smile.png

Last edited:
Do you think it could be possible nerve damage to her neck??

I had a little guy that was pecked really bad on his back as a baby and when he grew he wasnt able to walk.
My sister in law, who is a vet, said it was most likely nerve damage.

Wow... long time between posts.

I don't know if it is nerve damage... and if it is, does that mean I have to put her down? I don't know if I could do it.

I am trying the Poly-Vi-Sol - I FINALLY got it the other day.. Amazon Prime is starting to suck.
I put her back with her flock, she seemed so lonely... and they seem to be ok with her... it is just the older set of girls, they are not wild about these little ones.
sad.png

Any other ideas/advbice on this?

Back
Top Bottom