1. Haydnsmom

Haydnsmom New Egg

Jul 23, 2013
    so i just found out whats wrong with my chicken and i was wondering if any of you know the best way to help poor Twisty. she has a crooked neck she is happy and super nice she is a mutt i have no idea what she is we hatched her at school. what have you done for Wry neck what works what dose not.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've had two severe cases of wry neck this last month and both are healed now. One is 100% the other is still under treatment and 95% ! I used Alan Stanford'streatment for wry neck. It worked great! You can find doses and schedules by going to his website browneggblueegg.com and look on the left hand side in the glossery. Click on crook neck. It will give you exact dosing information. In his article he talks about silkies but this treatment applies to any wry neck bird. This treatment really works! Its saved both my birds. Have patience it takes around three weeks to completely heal. Basically it consists of giving vitamin E capsules selenium polyvisol liquid children's vitamins without iron vitamin B and predinsone. You can do the treatment without the predinsone if you can't find any and still they should heal. Both my cases had the predinsone. My cases were severe. But now they are back to normal thank God and thanks to this treatment! Depending on the severity of your case you may or may not have to help the birds eat and drink for awhile. I did. Until they were able to do it on their own. If you have any questions at all please feel free to private message me and I'll help you in any way I can help. You must have patience with this but it does work . very successfully! You'd never know my birds had wry neck now! My first case is 100% and she was dragging her head between her legs and doing flips. My second case is almost cured she is still under treatment and has a very slight Crick that soon will be gone. She was bent at the neck and couldn't walk and doing flips and her head looked like a Parkinson's patient she shook so badly. All thats gone now and she's 95% cured! She's approaching her week three and I suspect her to be 100% very soon. This treatment really works! Trust me I was unfortunate enough to have two cases back to back. After the first healed the second case appeared. In my birds cases it was a nutritional cause. Causes can range from nutrition like mine lack of vitamin E or injury or heridity. Sometimes moldy food can also cause this. Separate your bird so it can have a peaceful healing environment. Wry neck is not contagious. Wry neck is not a disease but a symptom. A symptom of a underling problem. In my case I needed to supplement with E.so for the rest of the flock I bought A D E and B supplement to prevent this hopefully from happening again. Don't worry if you follow this treatment your bird should heal in around three weeks. Please don't get discouraged this takes patience and is slow progress at first. But around week three if you follow the treatment plan your bird should be back to normal. Start treatment as soon as possible. If you can't find predinsone follow treatment with out it but you can also use a low dose Bayer childrens aspirin for inflammation or you can try fish oil which is a natural type of steroid. Predinsone is a heavy steroid and can't just be stopped it must be weened off. Luckily neither of my birds had any side effects from use of the predinsone. They were both just fine. But it can be hard on the immune system. So if you can't find it for treatment you can do the treatment without it.I've had excellent results using the predinsone because it helps take down the brain swelling but treatment canwork without it. I really hope this helps you and remember if you have any questions at all please feel free to ask and I'm happy to help you! So please go to the website iI told you about to get correct doses and schedules for your bird. I swear by Alan Stanford's treatment. Its cured two of my severe cases. I'm certain it can also help your bird. Best wishes and pm me with any questions you might have. Good luck. I'm sure with patience and this treatment she will be just fine. I know its difficult to see your bird like this but she should be better in around three weeks so have hope have patience and follow this treatment.! It worked wonders for my birds! I really hope this is helpful and gives you some direction. God bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by