1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OhioTanya, Jan 2, 2015.

1. OhioTanya

OhioTanya Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    My chicken started flopping her head around and she's uncoordinated. She stumbles backwards. She runs into things. She hasn't eaten in a long time. I have been giving her water with electrolytes in it with a syringe.
    She just wants to sleep all the time.
    I was reading about all the diseases and now I think it might be wry neck.
    I took a video of it but I don't know how to upload it (if it's even possible) I could probably upload it to YouTube and then post the link.

Does anyone else have a video of a good example of wry neck?

2. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    I dont have a video, but will you post a picture, I cant know without a picture.

3. OhioTanya

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm trying to upload the video to YouTube

4. OhioTanya

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    Watch at the end of the video how she swings her neck around.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You should start giving her/him Vitamin B and Vitamin E as soon as possible....check out what foods have both and give the chick some...eggs, tuna fish...so many foods are rich in Vitamins...

Good luck!

Wry neck symptoms take quite some time to show positive results...Vitamins are your best defence.....

6. OhioTanya

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    I just bought vitamin E, B complex, and Selenium that I read in another post on here to treat her with.

Did u watch the video, Suzie? Do u think that's what she has?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It really looks like wry neck in the video. Wry neck is a symptom of a neurological problem affecting the brain. It can be a symptom of Mareks disease, and from a head injury, or other infectious diseases causing brain inflammation. It can be from a vitamin deficiency, more so in chicks, but also if the feed is lacking vitamins or the vitamins have become rancid. With the symptoms from your other thread, I would really suspect Mareks, but I would try to treat her first with the vitamins.

8. OhioTanya

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks for ur input. I have 7 other chickens and none of them have shown symptoms. She has been sick for over a week.

9. OhioTanya

Apr 22, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    Got a good pic of her today
    [​IMG]

10. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Blyth the picture and video make it obvious that she has rye neck, like eggsesive said rye neck could meen a lot of things, give her a bit of molasses each day, and make sure she stays hydrated. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by