Wry Neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kikiriki, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi chicken experts!

My 16 week old lavender Ameraucana started showing symptoms yesterday. It was not clear what was going on except she was walking like a drunk.
    I looked at the illness chart first, and suspected possibly encephalitis (we had mosquitoes active until just two days ago), or Mareck's, but she has remained alert, eating and drinking normally, does not have any blisters, and she is not actually paralyzed. She moves her toes, and responds to touch. Her poo is mostly normal, a few have been runny, but all the chickens are drinking a lot more due to our cold snap and extra dry air.

Today, I noticed her head is always pointed toward her right. When she gets upset, it seems to be worse. She walks, but her tail is way up in the air, and her chest is low, and she takes very stilted steps on her toes trying to keep her balance. She frequently loses her balance and just tumbles over forward. If she lands on her back, she will just stay there and sleep instantly. If she lands on her belly it is always to the right, and her legs will just poke out to the left side. If the food she was going for is near enough, she will just stay there and eat. Her eyes are clear and bright, she has no sneezing, rales, or runny nose, and her appetite is good. I have not checked her ears, but will do that tomorrow. She does seem to sleep a lot more than usual.

I started treating her this morning as if she has wry neck, based upon the posts by others, but I would appreciate your thoughts.

I had to go get vit E and selenium, so I gave her what I had on hand this morning:

In Apple cider vinegar I crushed an adult vitamin, a fish oil capsul, a calcium capsul, and a proprietary blend intended for neurological health/support. I added about half to a tblsp of berry flavored activia yogurt for the probiotics. She ate it all, then ate the same amount again. She also ate her 20% protein feed.

This evening, she was not as interested in the vitamin mix, although she was going for her food quite heartily.

I picked up unroasted unsalted shelled sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds while I was out getting the vit E and selenium. I also got B complex and poly vi sol without iron.

Her best buddy (her sister/brother?, another Lav Ameraucana) decided she wanted the vitamin mix and ate ALL of it! Made me wonder if they are having a adsorption problem with their nutrients...one or both had cocci about a month and a half ago (treated the flock with Corid).

I do have prednisone on hand from a dog, but I am reluctant to use it. If she looks worse tomorrow, I might do so.

I would appreciate any feedback! Does this sound like wry neck to you?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. ThePonyDraw

ThePonyDraw New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    I also have a chick that I suspect has wry neck. Was fine yesterday, but was showing signs last night that continue on into today. I picked up some Vit E today, but my question is how do you administer it? It got the capsules and poked a hole in one end, but I can't hold the chick and the capsule and open her beak at the same time. My husband comes home later so I'll have help shortly, but not sure I will all the time if I keep up treatments.

3. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I put it in yogurt and the chicken ate it all. (The one who is not having symptoms.)

You could scramble an egg and let it cool off, then add the E to a spoonful of egg.

4. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Experts please look! I do need your advice!

Started the prednisone this morning...2 mg for a 1 lb 9 oz bird.
    Also used 1capsul B Complex
    4mg poly vi sol (no iron)
    1 capsul Vitamin E
    Some Selenium crushed in ACV and yogurt
    A little turmeric
    1capsul of the Neuro Support blend

Normal poop, firm, brown with some white.

Still eating and drinking normally.

Still falling over while walking on tiptoes and with tail high.

No eye changes...pupil, color, and lids all appear normal.

Head still turning to right, although she can go for food that is slightly to the left.

Symptoms are worse when she is distressed. I keep her separated for most of the day, but let her hang with her best buddy (monitoring them) and let them sleep together at night.

No other chickens are showing any symptoms of anything...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  5. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Prednisone suppresses the immune system. If this bird is battling an illness pred can make it a WHOLE lot worse in a hurry.

You gave her an entire human adult vitamin at one time? I trust it did not have iron in it. Is the neurological supplement also made for humans, and did she get an entire capsule?

6. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    No...I did not give her an entire vitamin. I crushed a whole vitamin and gave a portion.

7. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Thank goodness. I would be very careful with prednisone unless I knew exactly what the problem was. Pred may make them feel better but chickens are prone to many diseases that can cause lameness and you don't want to crash her immune system.

8. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    :(

Well my little lady died. Apparently, it was not wry neck. Did my best for her, but it was not enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by