WTB.. 5 Gallon Chicken Waterer

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Bi0sC0mp, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    HI.. i am looking for a 5 Gallon Chicken Waterer 0ne or a few if you have any extras you are looking to get rid of at a resonable price plz let me know thanks alot.

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    You can make one for under $5 with nothing more than a drill.

Buy:

1 5 gal bucket.
    1 lid for bucket.
    1 LARGE plastic or cement base for a flower pot with NO drain holes in it.(*large enough for the bucket to sit in it with an inch or two of space between bucket and edge all the way around.)

At the top of the bucket, about 1.5" below the rim, drill a hole about 1/2" in diameter or a little less. Fill bucket with water and place lid on tightly. Turn bucket upside down (water will come out as you do this) and set it upside down in flower pot base. Walla, instant free chicken waterer. If you need a picture of this, PM me.

3. aupoet

aupoet Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    I have a flock of some 40 hens and use an automatic waterer that I made several years ago and it is still working well. It can be filled from the top and doesn't need to be turned over. It is made from a five gallon bucket with a hose bib or faucet attached to the bottom. You simply allow the water to drip into a watering trough for the birds. You can find the directions for it here : http://www.bukisa.com/articles/70087_building-an-automatic-waterer-for-your-chickens

4. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    Aupoet,

Can you post some pics...

sounds like a good idea!!

thanks

5. aupoet

aupoet Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Sure, I will try to post some photo's to this forum. I wanted to put some in my bukisa article but their site isn't up to that yet. Here are the two photo's I downloaded. The first is of the finished waterer and the second is of the basic supplies needed. You will need two each of the washers and rubber pieces. Read my article on Bukisa to get step by step instructions on how to make the waterer. If you like it, please give me a good rating. Thank You [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here is a link to my article: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/70087_building-an-automatic-waterer-for-your-chickens

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    thanks!
    what did you use for caulking to prevent leaking around the fittings?

7. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    oops! read you article and found the answer!! thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by