WTB appenzeller spitzhauben or standard crele eggs to hatch

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by RockyToggRanch, Aug 21, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Appenzeller spitzhauben or standard crele.
    These breeds look interesting to try for my first hatching experience. Does anyone have any eggs? If not, I found some on Ebay, what is a fair price to pay?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I got mine from okcarla, she may be the one on ebay. My eggs are developing nicely.
    Krista

edited to say, if this is your first hatching experience you would do better by locating some local eggs instead of shipped eggs. Shipping can cause lots of problems and can be very discouraging. Better to work the quirks out of your bator with cheaper eggs. JMO

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I would definitely not start with shipped eggs, either. You will never know for sure if your incubator was the problem or the eggs if you get a bad hatch. I had eggs shipped from okcarla and the P.O. WRECKED them even though they were packed well. None were broken, although most all had ruptured air sacs, etc. The Spitz's are really cool birds, though. Good luck!!

Leah

4. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    With local, "cheaper", eggs, if I hatch them all...And I really didn't want that breed, Then what? I am so dedicated to the animals I bring into my home. I don't want to hatch something that I don't want or can't place somewhere else.
    Should I wait and hatch some of my own eggs first? I have too many baby sumatras running around already [​IMG].

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Do you have any farms nearby? Sometimes they are willing to take the chicks back if that is something you might be interested in. My first hatch was "mutt" eggs, I hope they turn into good layers [​IMG] . Why don't you look up the breed group and see if you can find a breeder close to your home. I wanted La Fleche just cuz they look cool and I needed a white layer [​IMG] . I found an older gentleman that used to do poultry shows and he only lives 20 mins from my house. I paid $8 for a dozen and all but 1 (bubbles, probably the oldest one) is developing. Do a little research, there might be someone close to you. I got eggs shipped to me from someone that lives 2 hours away (would have picked them up but the price of gas...) and only half are developing, not sure if it's from shipping or if it's fertility, but I would have a better answer if I picked them up. Honestly, my first hatch, I had 1 dozen. 11 hatched, 1 was infertile, and 2 died from complications. I learned a lot. My first 2 batches of shipped eggs made me very depressed, seriously. I got 3 chicks from 18 eggs. If you want to go ahead and do it anyway, just be aware of the possibility of them not hatching, and don't blame the shipper, cuz most often then not, it's not their fault. I drowned my fair share of chicks and made lots of mistakes, expensive ones. I shoot for 50% hatchability on shipped eggs, I am happy if I get that. I had 1 shipment that I got 1 chick out of 16. The PO destroyed them, most had dislodged air cells, the rest had their yolks scrambled. I now dry incubate and only add water if humidity gets below 30%, then up it to the 50%'s for the last 3 days, but I learned this works best for me, in my environment, in my bator. Oh, just to add, I just got my first 100% hatch on shipped eggs too. Good Luck whatever you decide [​IMG]
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by