wtb blue rocks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TJ Hatchery, Jun 12, 2012.

1. TJ Hatchery

TJ Hatchery In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    I am in need of some blue rocks. I have 8 blacks hens and 2 blues but I have a black rooster so it is pretty hard to get more blues. Was wondering if any one had and hatching eggs or chicks they would sell. Splash rocks would be even better. Would want a couple dozen eggs or a couple dozen chicks. Let me know if you can help me out thanks.

2. groydollar

groydollar In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
  3. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Songster

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    I've been working on blue barred rocks..... Just starting the 4th generation (knock on wood). I actually just moved the 3rd generation pullets into their own coop and OMG they are so gorgeous! They're coming up on 7 months now. Tomorrow I'll post some new pictures of the 3rd geners all grown out with their pretty pretty feathers.

4. TJ Hatchery

TJ Hatchery In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    are your males the only one with the barring?

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Do you have any pics of your black rocks? I might be interested in buying some eggs. I have 2 splash hens but not roo..... Well I have a little blue guy growing up (I think it is a roo [​IMG] ) and 2 more blue pullets. I am trying to improve leg color and that is the MAJOR issue I want to work on first.
    I also have a Barred Blue Rock project. I have 5 blue barred rock hens with a barred rock roo so I am getting 100% barred babies [​IMG] and all the chicks, roos too, have the correct barring genes so no "sex link" type roos. The barring in the pullets hackles is so pretty [​IMG]

But I would really love to start on my Blue Rock project.... I do have a plan to fix the leg color, but that will take a couple of generations to fix. Unless I can find some Blue or Black Rocks with good leg color to fix it sooner [​IMG]

6. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Songster

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    The 3rd generation girls are barred. I just uploaded some camera phone pix I took of one of the 3rd generation roosters a couple of
    weeks ago. The girls are prettier but haven't needed to come inside so they missed out on the "photo shoot". I'll get some pictures with a decent camera. If you go to my photo albums in my profile you can see the 2nd generation birds and the 3rd geners as chicks.

[​IMG]

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This was a blue barred boy that I hatched when I first started fooling with this cross a couple of years ago. This was with a hatchery barred rock. I now have some much better barred rocks that I got from Speckledhen from her Stukel bred birds that I am going to cross with my blue rooster this fall. The barred rock girls are just enormous. I will be hoping to get better size with that cross.

[​IMG]

8. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Songster

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    Yeah, that's what my 2nd generation boys looked like. Waiting for these 3rd geners to really fill out is like waiting for paint to dry in 90% humidity! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: