wtb brid for fly tying

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by flytyingbird, Dec 21, 2009.

1. flytyingbird

flytyingbird New Egg

Dec 19, 2009
    east tennessee
    i am think about chickens for fly tying want the best bird i am looking for will help any link

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    What do you want the feathers to look like? You might try lovebirds, as they have some really unique colored tail feathers with a big red dot in them. Chicken wise, maybe anything in partridge or barred, for contrast in less than clear water, or spangled because it would be white with a black tip, catch the fishes eye. Mottled would be the opposite, dark with a white tip. Could you post more on what kind of feathers fish go after? I would be interested to learn. Thanks for posting, and [​IMG]

3. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Chickens have already being used for fly tying for hundreds of years. Ever heard of a grizzly hackle= barred rock feathers.

The intenet is full of info on the best birds to take feathers from....Good luck

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It's almost always roosters that are used. A lot of the hatcheries have a "fly tyer's" special which is an assortment of roos with good hackles and sometimes saddles.

If you're selling them, I think you generally kill the rooster to harvest the patches of feathers. If they're for your own use, I don't see why you couldn't just trim off a few as needed.

I think there is a line of Barred Rocks bred just for this, but they're very hard to come by. People who have them don't often part with them, because there is good money in those feathers.

Here's what McMurray suggests...
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/fly_tyer_special.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by