WTB:Buff Orpington Hens/Rhode Island Reds | San Diego

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ShaunaCH, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ShaunaCH

ShaunaCH Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    We are almost done building our coop and are looking for Buff Orpington Hens. We can't go with chicks because we work full-time, have 2 cats and just don't have the time to devote to the little babies, so we're looking for pullets approximately 15 weeks old. We would like 3 pullets - mix of Buff Orpingtons and/or Rhode Island Reds within San Diego County. The coop should be completed by June 19th hopefully. The pullets will also have free range time when we are home.

thanks,
    Shauna

2. wwmicasa1

wwmicasa1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Wingshadows Hacienda
    Shauna,

I have 17 week Rhode Island Red pullets available. We are in the Back Country of San Diego at the north end of Warner Springs, 20 miles from Temecula. Let me know if you are interested. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. ShaunaCH

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thanks Lynne. Hopefully, we'll finish our coop this weekend. My husband really wants at least one buff orpington. Should I be concerned about introducing another chicken into the flock at a later time if we get 2 Rhode Island Reds soon and wait to find a Buff Orpington?

4. wwmicasa1

Nov 22, 2008
    Wingshadows Hacienda
    Quote:Shauna,

It is a little more difficult to introduce another bird (especially a singlet) into an established flock. The newbie is always an outsider & doesn't have a buddy to pal around with. If you do get a Buff O, I would get two so that the transition is easier. [​IMG]

5. ShaunaCH

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hmm, okay. Well, since we can only handle three, I guess I'm going to have to hold off for now until we can get the right mix of 3 at once. Thank you very much for your help!

6. ShaunaCH

May 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Hi Lynne,

So, I convinced my husband that we should get all Rhode Island Reds (I've read that orpingtongs are very good Mamas, but tend to go broody more often than other breeds) and would like to talk to you more about yours that you have available. We think we'll have our coop and backyard ready the weekend of July 9th. The coop will likely be ready this weekend, but we need to seal off areas in our backyard so the chickens can free range and not get out.

Let me know how we should proceed - these are our first set of chickens;) We'd like to get 3.

Thanks,
    Shauna

7. wwmicasa1

Nov 22, 2008
    Wingshadows Hacienda
    Quote:Shauna,

Sent you a PM [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by