WTB Chickens that lay nice true blue eggs.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sierrarod, Apr 15, 2011.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Not pale blue, but as dark as possible. Where can I get some?
    Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Dark ones are actually less of a true blue than the lighter ones. [​IMG]

If you just want a dark, rich color but aren't too concerned on how true of a blue they lay, I'd say go with any Blue Wheaten Marans from Pips&peeps lines, including ones from BYC user peachick.

3. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:Sorry to go off topic, but where does one get a yak? Is yours full grown? It is so cute [​IMG]

4. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Quote:Interesting! So, they turn greener as they get darker?

I know I don't want the grey looking ones.

What breed layed the eggs in your avatar? They are a pretty blue.

I already have EE's, but they are babies and not great breeding. How do the eggs you suggested compare to EE eggs?

I sure appreciate your help. It's so hard buying from the internet because computer monitors and cameras vary greatly.

Thanks!
    Kisa

5. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Sierrarod

The "true blue" are eggs that are blue throughout. If you crack the shell, it is blue inside and out. These are typically laid by Araucanas and specific Ameraucanas. Easter eggers, often called Ameraucanas may lay a blue egg or a green egg. The green egg is a blue with a bit of a "brown spray" in the oviduct which gives it a green appearance.

In my experience, EEs that are white, or grey/white lay eggs that are bluer than the brown feathered EE. I have no idea if this is predictable, it is just a consistent observation I've made with the birds I own.

I have EE, Araucanas (tufted, rumpless) and Ameraucanas. Know what? I prefer the EEs. I prefer the white ones for the blue eggs I've gotten which are larger than the Ameraucanas and Araucanas. I had one that laid a beautiful blue egg with white speckles. A richer blue than the lighter blue eggs of the araucanas/ameraucanas.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I have all three too, but egg size really, really depends on strains. [​IMG]

The eggs in my avatar are from Blue/Black/Splash Ameraucanas. To me they're not exactly the most desirable blue, but of course better than an Easter Egger's green in terms of "true blue eggs." [​IMG] It is certainly true though - the best blue eggs should be the same blue inside and out.

Blue Wheaten and Wheaten Ameraucanas will probably be your favorite in terms of egg color, with Blue/Black/Splash following closely behind. With them being true Ameraucanas, they will indeed give real blue eggs, but these colors often give the best egg color.

Araucanas are another good blue choice but not all of them - In my experience, Blues, Splashes, and Blacks lay a very good colored egg. Best "blue" I've seen, however Cuckoo types have the biggest and richest color I've seen.

Easter Eggers can give a nice blue too, but judging plumage color and pinning it to egg color is never reliable, plus, it is a crapshoot for egg color. You could get green, less likely blue, and sometimes you might even get brown.

flowerchicks - Search up "iyak" - It is an organization that also has a breeders' directory. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by