WTB: Cuckoo Marans rooster

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by alicefelldown, Nov 3, 2010.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Did you hatch a Cuckoo Marans rooster this year that isn't as 'typey' as he should be? Maybe his comb isn't straight and pointed? Too many or too few leg feathers? Don't send him to the chopping block just yet!!

I'm looking for ANY QUALITY Cuckoo Marans rooster. Preferably he came from a decently dark egg and not McMurray/Ideal/Etc but I don't suppose I'm that picky as long as I know what I'm working with.

I want to introduce the Barred gene into my egg laying flock because looking at black and blue gets so old.

Hopefully my dream rooster is somewhere in CA - but I'm willing to pay for box and shipping if he lives elsewhere.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. HarmonyOaks

HarmonyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    Hi there.

What kind of flock do you have? I have several very nice barred wyandotte cockerels... I am in Northern Calif.... there is also a show in Bakersfield this weekend... you might find something nice in their sales pens.... as to you not wanting type per se... it costs the same to feed a good chicken as does a bad, and good type, be it meat, layer or dual purpose type, carrys on to the offspring you may want to keep... there is more than color to a good gene [​IMG] Also, you do realize there is a difference in barred vs cuckoo right? Cuckoos are not symmetrical in their coloring where barred birds are more even and less "muddy" in their feather pattern. Look at close-up pictures of cuckoo marans and barred rocks to see what I mean.

Best of luck in your quest.

-Carrie

3. Echoinghills

Echoinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    NE OHIO
    Hi, i have an English Golden Cuckoo Maran roo if you are interested? His brother is french, so he could very well carry the french gene. I would sell him for $20, and free box. Just PM me if you want to see pics and a quote for shipping. I am in Ohio.

4. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:Thank you. I am looking for Marans only right now - Wyandottes tend to lay more on the tan/tinted side [​IMG] I'm not looking for the perfect #8 on the scale - but I'd prefer not to have any tan colored 'Marans'.

Quote:Yes. Proper barring happens in the slower-to-feather birds, where the lines come out clean and crisp, which is something not common in faster Cuckoo Marans - hence they tend to look messy. For my purposes, the cleanliness of their stripes do not matter. This is the egg flock only, not to be used with any of my breeding projects, so I really want them to be an entirely different looking group. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  5. HarmonyOaks

HarmonyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    Sorry, your post didnt state your flock was of Marans or I wouldnt have suggested my wyandotte cockerels.

You might check with members of the Marans of America Club or Marans Chicken Club USA if you are looking for a cuckoo cockerel who came from a dark egg and thus will be more inclined to pass that gene on. IME, hatchery cuckoos are pretty poor performers when it comes to egg color.

-Carrie

Connoisseur of French Standard Marans in Blue, Black, White; and Black Copper; Large Fowl Wyandottes in Buff, Black, Blue, Blue-Laced Red, Barred and Blue-Barred; Large Fowl Black Australorps; Large Fowl Ameraucanas; Large Fowl Sussex in Light, Red, Silver and Coronation; and Dark Brahma Bantams.

6. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    Hi Alicefelldown-I have several cuckoo marans young roos that need homes!!! I hatched these from our own cuckoo marans eggs and they are nice. They are all feathered legged and are now a little over 4 months old and of good size already. PM me if you are interested.

7. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I kept one back that I really don't need. He came from my best pair, and is very gentle, and very large. You can have him for the price of fuel to take him to the post office. Just ship me a box and pay shipping. i can get a quote on shipping for you. I can send you pix also. He's feather legged and is free ranging right now. Just dewormed my flock 2 weeks ago.

8. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I think I may have found one in CA on Cragislist that I'm going to go look at tomorrow. *Fingers crossed*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by