WTB free roosters or turkeys upstate NY

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by sonew123, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    HI all,

My DH and I made a wizzbang plucker yesterday. SO following all directions Ive learned on BYC I set up the "stations" and processed my 3 roos ( extras) yesterday. It was awesome!!! I apologize to all of you who cant and wont do this but I tried to sell them-drive them to a new home-give them away and for 6 weeks nothing. Mnd you these birds cost me 9$ each as days olds -9 out of 13 turned out to be roos! SO I picked the biggest 3 I had and tried my new set up! The roos were only 13 weeks old and small but looked great once they were finished. SO Im looking for Free turkeys or roosters ( all fairly young) to process-I need more practice as I need to tweek and upgrade my plucker. SOunds gross I know but I need to as Im trying to get ready for meaties in the Spring and want to know exactly what to do when the time comes to butcher them. If anyone has any they need to get rid of let me know and I will drive a small distance to pick up-especially if its for more than a couple! Ive tried posted photos sbut something is wrong with camera that will get fixed shortly-thank you everyone! I live in Upstate NY 12989 if needed to mapquest:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Lol.... I had a few for you to do yesterday. I went around and did the same thing yesterday. I tried to give them away for 2 months now. But, nothing. so it was culling day for me here too. So I feel you. I don't feel bad no longer after I feel I have given it plenty of time to try and place them in new homes and noone takes them. At least these little guys will be putting food on our tables now. Pretty much the only way you can look at it. You get used to it after a while. maybe some people think it's cruel. But, it is the way of life.
    I don't think anyone wants to have to do things like that.

[​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:oh yes ---I do EVERYTHING possible to rid myslef of them before I process-I do feel much better about it knwoing I did that and now have dinner for 1-2 dinners:) I dont know what it is though-the meat is always tough! what do you do? as far as tenderizeing them-brine??? freezing asap???

4. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    I freeze them first, just to be safe. I always boil the chicken down off of the bones and make homemade chicken noodle soup. Never tough that way. No matter how old they are. If you like chicken soup you'll love it.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Oh I do do that but I was talking about juct cooking chicken breasts and such slow roasting etc...???

6. reesepoultry

Jul 4, 2009
    I have never done that. Except my meat birds I had once. I cooked in my george foreman and they were great. They weren't tough at all. But with my other birds I make soup out of them. Never been brave enough to try them any differant way.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think you should brine them in some ice water and salt. I would slow cook them on 250, that might make them more tender. Or just sharpen up your teeth sister [​IMG]

I wouldn't think they would be tough at 13 weeks old. How much did they weigh? I am trying to figure out when to process my Split/Light Sussex roo's. I was thinking maybe 16 weeks or so.

8. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    First wish you were closer I have a couple extra roos you can have.
    Second definatley brine them for atleast 24 hours. I haven't had any problems with toughness whether grilled, broiled, boiled, baked, panfried, or rotissiered. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by