WTB hatching eggs EAST TN

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ravencreek, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Ok I just got myself an incubator. Now comes the question of WHERE to buy the eggs. I know there is eggbid but I have heard of scams on there and I nor anyone else need that. On the other hand there are alot of honsest people on there too. But how is one to know? I thought about purchasing from a forum member but I am only looking for a few eggs to try my luck at hatching. So if it were you and you have never incubated by yourself(I helped my grandparents as a kid) what would you do?

How many eggs should I try?
    What should I expect to pay?
    I am looking at standard size chickens for pet purposes. Is there a breed that is easier than another to incubate and hatch? Mixes welcome.
    Anyone suggest an eggbid seller?
    Anyone suggest a forum member for shipped eggs?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I just went through this with my mother. As a matter of fact her first hatch is happening right now.
    Start with some local or your own eggs if possible and I would start with 12 of them.
    Then do your best to hatch them based on all the info you find right here on BYC.
    You will learn a lot with your first hatch, then you can move on to more expensive eggs. (even cheap eggs are expensive when you include shipping!)

I can ship you some mixed eggs for about $12 shipping included, wonder how far you are from me?

~Rebecca

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well I would LOVE to hatch my own....but I don't have any. I have been on craigslist looking without any luck. Have seen alot of wanted ads but no selling ads. I am sending you a PM about the eggs.

4. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I live in Seymour which is not to far from you I could ship you a dozen Cuckoo Marans for 15 dollars. If it matters these are private stock not hatchery chickens.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have bought from ebay, eggbid and off of here. All my eggs have resulted in chicks. I have never had a 0% hatch rate. I would take the eggs that have been offered here. The marans are a good choice but the mixed are probably just as good if you just want eggs. (If it was me, I would do both of them, lol, but don't worry, you will get addicted eventually).

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You are only about 45 minutes from me. You are welcome to get some Barred EE eggs or other BR crosses if you'd like to drive down. Im at the juncture of TN, NC and GA. For pickup, I'll give you a great deal on a mixed bag hatching egg assortment. I have Blue Orpingtons, however, not sure the fertility is good and just did some butt-fluff trimming. They are super fluffy.

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:I would take this offer if I were you. She has beautiful birds.
    [​IMG]

~Rebecca

8. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I have some interesting EE eggs if you are interested. I took Americaunas, crossed them on cochins and added some silkie. Most of them come out blue cochin looking but bearded, tiny hair poof, with greenish legs and an extra toe on each foot. They are calm fluffy birds and I've had no rooster aggression issues. I could send you a dozen for $12 if you want.
    Lisa

9. ravencreek

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well guys I went to check the incubator today after having it plugged in for a few days empty and its not getting any hotter than 70. Which is about the same as the house temp. I called the lady I bought it from and she is going to give me my money back. I guess I will have to wait on getting any hatching eggs. So its just chicks for me I guess.

10. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    [​IMG] BUMMER!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by