WTB: I need eggs! southern california

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by PotterWatch, Sep 30, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I just was given an incubator to use from a program that provides curriculum to teachers. I am thrilled to finally have one so that my kids get to see the whole range of chicken life from egg to table. We aren't allowed a rooster, so I have no fertile eggs. What I do have is a hovabator that will hold 42 eggs. Now I just need eggs to fill it! I would prefer to buy purebred eggs (not ones that are terribly expensive though), but if I can't afford that, I will be ok with mixed. So who has some eggs I could buy to fill up my bator?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  2. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    what kind of eggs do you want?(chicken, duck, etc..)

3. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have Silver Spangled Hamburgs. I can sell you 6+ eggs for $10, but I need about a week till I have them (got an order to fill first). They are breeder quality purebred birds and have been producing nice, type-y chicks with almost 100% hatch rate when they're not shipped.
    I am in North Hollywood.

Here is a picture of my birds:
    Here's one of the hens
    [​IMG]

Here's my rooster (sorry he's still missing hackle feathers from a bad molt)
    [​IMG]

Here are some of the babies I've hatched:
    [​IMG]

Hamburgs are a little skittish but if you handle the chicks a lot they are nice birds. They forage well, are on the small side (only 4-5 lbs for large fowl) and are fantastic layers of medium white eggs ("The Dutch Everyday Layer")

PM me if you're interested [​IMG]

4. Bananas

Bananas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh by the way, have you done a test run with your incubator yet? If not, you might want to do a batch of cheap eggs before you try to hatch anything expensive (especially in front of a class of kids).

It took me 2 runs with my hovabator to get a halfway decent hatch out of it.
    Is it still air or does it have a thermal fan?

Mine was still air, and I concluded that still air hovabators are difficult to use in SoCal....something about the day-night temperature fluctuations and the lack of air humidity. Although with the cooler days starting you might have better luck. I installed a thermal fan in mine after the first two hatches and after that I've been getting decent hatch rates. But my first batch hatched zero chicks and the second hatched only 1 [​IMG]

All that to say, speaking from personal experience, if you're in SoCal you should definitely do a test hatch on a hovabator before you try to hatch in front of school kids.

Hope that helps....let me know if you're interested in Hamburg eggs!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I could send a batch of 24 eggs, mostly buff orp and then some araucana to fill it for $30, includes s/h. Let me know if you're interested.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I can send you 3 dozen + (can make it 42) EE, frizzle Cochin, &/or Silkie eggs. Maybe even a few Wheaten Marans if you want them. $50 shipped.

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have mixed eggs. You can see what breeds we have in the signature line.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi, please see our recent post here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249058

This offers you some of our variety of poultry.

In addition to the Mahogany RIR, Buff Orpingtons, Welsummers and Barreds listed in this post we also have Speckled Sussex and Black Copper Marans available. Please pm me if you are interested.

Thanks and have a blessed day.

9. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    I have some Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Red eggs available currently. PM me if you're interested. I have lots available currently.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry for not replying earlier, my husband had the computer all day so I was unable to check this post. I will PM those I am interested in. Thanks for all the offers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by