WTB: I need eggs! southern california

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I just was given an incubator to use from a program that provides curriculum to teachers. I am thrilled to finally have one so that my kids get to see the whole range of chicken life from egg to table. We aren't allowed a rooster, so I have no fertile eggs. What I do have is a hovabator that will hold 42 eggs. Now I just need eggs to fill it! I would prefer to buy purebred eggs (not ones that are terribly expensive though), but if I can't afford that, I will be ok with mixed. So who has some eggs I could buy to fill up my bator?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bananas

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have Silver Spangled Hamburgs. I can sell you 6+ eggs for $10, but I need about a week till I have them (got an order to fill first). They are breeder quality purebred birds and have been producing nice, type-y chicks with almost 100% hatch rate when they're not shipped.
I am in North Hollywood.

Here is a picture of my birds:
Here's one of the hens
37923_helen.jpg

Here's my rooster (sorry he's still missing hackle feathers from a bad molt)
37923_huxtable_and_chicks.jpg

Here are some of the babies I've hatched:
37923_baby_hamburgs_gonzalez_and_grindl.jpg

Hamburgs are a little skittish but if you handle the chicks a lot they are nice birds. They forage well, are on the small side (only 4-5 lbs for large fowl) and are fantastic layers of medium white eggs ("The Dutch Everyday Layer")

PM me if you're interested
smile.png

Bananas

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Oh by the way, have you done a test run with your incubator yet? If not, you might want to do a batch of cheap eggs before you try to hatch anything expensive (especially in front of a class of kids).

It took me 2 runs with my hovabator to get a halfway decent hatch out of it.
Is it still air or does it have a thermal fan?

Mine was still air, and I concluded that still air hovabators are difficult to use in SoCal....something about the day-night temperature fluctuations and the lack of air humidity. Although with the cooler days starting you might have better luck. I installed a thermal fan in mine after the first two hatches and after that I've been getting decent hatch rates. But my first batch hatched zero chicks and the second hatched only 1
sad.png

All that to say, speaking from personal experience, if you're in SoCal you should definitely do a test hatch on a hovabator before you try to hatch in front of school kids.

Hope that helps....let me know if you're interested in Hamburg eggs!

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I could send a batch of 24 eggs, mostly buff orp and then some araucana to fill it for $30, includes s/h. Let me know if you're interested.

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
I can send you 3 dozen + (can make it 42) EE, frizzle Cochin, &/or Silkie eggs. Maybe even a few Wheaten Marans if you want them. $50 shipped.

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Sorry for not replying earlier, my husband had the computer all day so I was unable to check this post. I will PM those I am interested in. Thanks for all the offers!

Top Bottom