WTB: Nice Breed Newborn Rooster

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by goldfinches, Oct 4, 2011.

1. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD. I am hoping that someone out here breeds sweet roosters, we recently had ours turn evil and are facing having to get rid of him [​IMG]

I need 1-2 roos to protect my girls, but they have to be sweet around my young children. I would like for them to be newborn, so I can raise them, (I don't really have a way to quarantine older ones.)

I've read that sometimes Orphingtons are nice, I would love any color. I also would like to try a Faverolle, I've heard they are usually nice.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm willing to entertain the idea.

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Silkies are the best roos

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You can't go wrong with a Faverolle rooster, BUT even with something like a salmon Faverolle, it will be hard to find someone that can 100% sex day old chicks that isn't a hatchery....

4. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:That's okay, I'm willing to take them straight run and end up with a couple of girls too [​IMG]

5. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:I've heard that, too. But, with our weather, they would always be filthy.

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Avoid lavender orpingtons. Most of my roosters have been very mean. Standard cochin or faverolle would be your best bet.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    My lav orps are gentle....MMMM, must be that early handling that they get!!!

8. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Sometimes you cannot tell until they mature. I very rarely have had a mean roo but the ones that were had been great as youngsters until they were over a year old, say 1 1/2. Just MHO. I have plenty of friendly roos here to choose from if you are interested. I have chicks too if you wanted to take a chance but I won't ship chicks until they are fully feathered out. We have a show here in NJ 10/22/11. I will be at that. Best wishes.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Also, don't make pets of them when they are young. Just feed and water them and teach them to stay out of your way. No David Letterman's stupid pet tricks, no perching on your head, or finger, no ridng on your shoulders, no cute pics of them typing on your laptop. Just treat them like chickens. Spoil them an you will have a spoiled rooster that will turn mean most likely.

10. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Your best bet is to be looking for a mature male that has proven to be gentle and not wanting to be the King of everything. There is no way to know until they're mature what their personalities are going to be. I have a Silkie roo that given the chance will come after me, then we have the discussion and he stops again for a while but never permanently. Permanent where he is concerned would be six feet under.

I have a little d'Uccle male that is going on two that has just decided that any stranger is fair game, that includes my husband.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by