WTB- North Missouri- rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cason, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd like to purchase a couple of young bred does and one buck. Maybe New Zealands? Anyone have suggestions re: the largest quickest growing meat rabbits? (Something similar to Cornish X chickens!!) [​IMG]

2. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    I have just started down the same path.

I have read that a NewZealand/Californian mix is good for 5 lb rabbits or so. i have also heard that some people are putting a single Flemish Giant into the breeding program to up the size a little and also for temperament. they will pair it with the buck of one of the two aforementioned breeds or a mixed buck. I'm starting off with some New Zealands with just a hint of Californian about them.

They dont breed the flemish giants for meat production because the meat to bone ratio is off and also i hear that they are a tub of guts. but they work it in therefor the other desirable aspects.

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I don't know the stats, but Rex's make good meat rabbits, plus they have amazing pelts.

4. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    Im located in sw mo i raise and breed new zealands whites right now all i got are 1 wk old. Wont start selling tell there 4 wks
    Here is my website
    Rick and Tiffany
    http://randtrabbitry.com/index.html
    SW Mo

5. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there any on-line rabbit hatcheries - like chicken hatcheries?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by